PDA

View Full Version : Can hydroids attach to clownfish?

PIPSTER
05/13/2015, 07:29 AM
My clownfish has what appears to be a hydroid, round jellyfish kind, right between his eyes on his forehead. It doesn't seem to bother him, no changes in his behavior or eating habits. I noticed it 5 days ago.

I've had him in the DT since the first week of april, following 4 weeks in QT.
Up until I noticed this "thingy", he was perfectly healthy looking, acting, eating, etc. He still acts and eats healthy, there's just this equivalent of a birdstrike on his face. I've had hydroids on my glass for the last 2 weeks.
I've never heard of them getting on a fish before. :sad2:

He is the only fish in the tank, and I'm not planning on getting any others until I can make sure this isn't something bad. :twitch:

Deinonych
05/13/2015, 11:39 AM
Can you post a picture?

ThRoewer
05/13/2015, 02:39 PM
To me this sounds a bit like a crustacean parasite.

A picture is definitely needed for a proper diagnosis.

PIPSTER
05/13/2015, 02:57 PM
Can you post a picture?

I'll have to really work on it. I've tried taking pictures of him everyday, but they are extremely blurry because he just won't stay still enough, and the light isn't bright enough for the close-up. :(

I'm wondering if it's a Lymphocyctis virus. :hmm5:

It really doesn't seem to bother the fish, I will keep tabs on it to see if it does.

Maximus
05/13/2015, 03:00 PM
Could it be flukes?

ThRoewer
05/13/2015, 03:18 PM
I'll have to really work on it. I've tried taking pictures of him everyday, but they are extremely blurry because he just won't stay still enough, and the light isn't bright enough for the close-up. :(

Try using a flash.

PIPSTER
05/18/2015, 07:52 AM
I've been trying for days now to get a pic, but even with the flash, all I'm getting is an orange blur.

I've noticed that the spot is almost invisible, and only shows when the blues are on. It seems smaller, and the clown is still acting and eating normal.
I'll just have to wait and see how this plays out, I guess.

ThRoewer
05/18/2015, 03:10 PM
Is he associating with any corals in your tank? It could be from that. Or it could be a slight bacterial infection the fish can handle on its own.

PIPSTER
05/22/2015, 07:06 AM
To update, the clownfish is acting normal still. I can get him to eat flaked food off my fingers, now, which allowed me to get a better view of him. It looks like the whiteness is around his right nostril, and getting smaller. It looks like a ring around it now, whereas before it seemed a solid "color".

I will continue to wait this out, to make sure nothing else appears on him or his behavior doesn't change. :fish2: