PDA

View Full Version : Copper in a used tank.

jeperry3
05/14/2015, 09:11 AM
Backgorund:

I recently purchased a new (used) tank. This is a 135G tank formerly used for a predator FOWLR tank. I am going to use it as a reef tank. Tank came with about 150 pounds of aragonite sand and some Live Rock rubble in the sump. Tank has been down for a year so nothing is "live".

Question:

The former owner treated the tank with copper (and other things). Is the sand and rock toast or is it possible to remove the copper. Also, any special treatment for the tank, plumbing or other hardware?

Thanks in Advance

Cross post from Reef Discussion.

scooter31707
05/14/2015, 09:31 AM
I believe you posted this in another section, and someone told you that the sand, rock, and the entire tank is comtaminated. The silicone absorbs the copper and will leach it out back into the tank therefore effecting your bacteria and livestock. Might make a good QT.

bertoni
05/14/2015, 03:09 PM
You can clean the tank and other plastic and glass surfaces with some vinegar to remove the copper. Also, be sure to remove any calcium carbonate deposits, as they can bind a lot of copper.

I agree that the sand is unusable. If you are willing to work with toxic chemicals, you might save the rock with a muriatic acid dip. You would need to work outside with protective gloves and glasses. We can give you the entire procedure if you're interested.

jeperry3
05/14/2015, 04:14 PM
Thanks,

I have no problem working with muriatic acid. I have used it in the past and know how to use it safely. (And my adviser said that D in chemistry wouldn't help me.) I would like to save the rock. While small, there are some nice pieces.

bertoni
05/14/2015, 04:29 PM
Okay, all you need to do is add 1 part muriatic acid to 10 parts water. Never add water to acid, since it might boil and splatter. Then immerse the rock in the mixture for 20-30 minutes, and remove it and rinse well. You can use baking soda to neutralize any remaining acid.

For your safety, I recommend wearing chemical-resistant arm-length gloves and some safety glass. Muriatic acid is a gas dissolved in water, and some of it will outgas. The acid can then damage lungs and eyes in particular, so I would work outside and stay away from the fumes as much as possible.

nuxx
05/15/2015, 11:55 AM
Has anyone ever traced back coral/invert issues to copper that leeches out of silicon?

Just curious, but I wouldn't think it would be enough to really cause any issues.

bertoni
05/15/2015, 04:41 PM
I doubt anyone has ever looked into it seriously. I don't see how it could be an issue. The surface area is too small.

aclinville
05/16/2015, 03:45 AM
A few years ago I accidentally had a brass fitting on my plumbing and was a complete idiot at the time. It was a 125 reef and lost everything so low and behold I used a few polyfilters in the sump and was able to remove all of the copper. A few weeks later I was slowly able to add some softies and then lps with no problems and still running to this day. My copper levels were through the roof. So with my experience some peoe go a little over board with no actual experience to back it up

Hockeynut120
05/16/2015, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't even think of it. I'm sorry for saying is it really worth using any of it? The time and money you are a about to spend on this venture is going to be extensive. The cost of a new tank pales in comparison to the effort you will put into being successful. There is just to much to risk. What if copper leaches from the silicone slowly and just has minor trace amounts your tank will never be successful. JMO

bertoni
05/16/2015, 02:40 PM
Silicone forms a smooth surface, and there's no reason to believe that it'll adsorb any more copper than glass. The acid in vinegar will remove any copper it reaches.