PDA

View Full Version : Need help converting / upgrading old RODI

mjc0760
05/14/2015, 12:45 PM
I currently have the Hurricane Dual Home Reef (HDHR) and have been happy with it. To go with my new build, I want an upgraded RODI (like the Typhoon 5 STAGE RODI REEFKEEPER) but I still want to have a drinking water system. The HDHR is under the kitchen sink with the RODI output running to the basement where my mixing station is. I'd like to install the entire new/upgraded system in the basement. An added benefit is that I free up space under the sink.

Questions:
- Can I upgrade the HDHR system by adding things, e.g., a booster pump, a second DI cartridge, maybe even another RO membrane, etc? (ok... that's a rhetorical question, but...)

- If I convert the HDHR and move it to the basement, can the permeate pump push water up 8' and horizontally 15' to the drinking water tank under the kitchen sink? If not, would it do so with a booster pump added? Can I use both a booster and a permeate pump?

- If I don't upgrade/convert the HDHR and move it, I'm considering stripping it down to just a drinking water system... am I correct that this is as simple as taking off the DI (eliminate the Y after the permeate pump and route the RO from the pump directly into the check valve? (... I could use it as the second DI on a new system.) Any other mods needed to make it drinking-water-only?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Joe

05/15/2015, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=mjc0760;23742600]I currently have the Hurricane Dual Home Reef (HDHR) and have been happy with it. To go with my new build, I want an upgraded RODI (like the Typhoon 5 STAGE RODI REEFKEEPER) but I still want to have a drinking water system. The HDHR is under the kitchen sink with the RODI output running to the basement where my mixing station is. I'd like to install the entire new/upgraded system in the basement. An added benefit is that I free up space under the sink. (FYI...if you wanted to go with a new system...you could get our Typhoon III that comes with a DI bypass....http://theh2oguru.com/typhoon-iii-aquarium-rodi.html (http://theh2oguru.com/typhoon-iii-aquarium-rodi.html)...and you could hook up your pressure tank and permeate pump to that...)

Questions:
- Can I upgrade the HDHR system by adding things, e.g., a booster pump, a second DI cartridge, maybe even another RO membrane, etc? (ok... that's a rhetorical question, but...) YES Indeed!

- If I convert the HDHR and move it to the basement, can the permeate pump push water up 8' and horizontally 15' to the drinking water tank under the kitchen sink? If not, would it do so with a booster pump added? Can I use both a booster and a permeate pump? YES, you can use both; however, the permeate pump that was sold with your unit will easily push the water using the runs you have described...

- If I don't upgrade/convert the HDHR and move it, I'm considering stripping it down to just a drinking water system... am I correct that this is as simple as taking off the DI (eliminate the Y after the permeate pump and route the RO from the pump directly into the check valve? (... I could use it as the second DI on a new system.) Any other mods needed to make it drinking-water-only? Just unscrew the DI housing and put a ball valve on the tubing feeding that housing...

Hope this helps...

Chris
AirWaterIce.com (http://theh2oguru.com/)
772-461-0256
[email protected]

mjc0760
05/15/2015, 05:28 PM
Thanks Chris!