PDA

View Full Version : How to safely move a clam?

Gil03
05/14/2015, 07:46 PM
So I decided to try my luck with a clam again, the last two I've had were eaten by what I suspect was my coral banded shrimp which I no longer have, plus I've had my scallop in there for a while now with no issues thus far. Anyhow I picked up a tridacna the other day and just my luck he attaches to one of my acan plugs and is laying down. So my question is how do I safely remove him without tearing off the foot?

nitro123456789
05/14/2015, 08:56 PM
Try to cut the rock under its foot

ca1ore
05/15/2015, 07:32 AM
You need to cut the byssal threads with a razor blade. But don't cut into the byssal gland/foot otherwise it's toast.

skimjim
05/15/2015, 07:46 AM
Safest way is slowly wedge a piece of ICE in between the foot and the plug. the ice irrates the clam and he'll slowly let go.

MondoBongo
05/15/2015, 07:49 AM
the ice works really well if you can get the rock and clam out of the tank.

Gil03
05/15/2015, 09:12 AM
is it ok to have the clam out of water for a short time?

Gil03
05/15/2015, 09:18 AM
also I've read or heard that it's not good for them to be laying down is that true or is he ok for now, basically he's parallel with the bottom of my tank as he's stuck to the side of an acan plug and i can see the little silk thread looking things that attach him. I'll definitely be trying the ice thing when i get home.

MondoBongo
05/15/2015, 12:15 PM
clams are fine out of water for small amounts of time. shouldn't take him more than a couple of minutes to release with the ice.

i froze some tank water, then chipped it up. pulled the rock with clam attached, and placed ice all around his base. it convinced him to release fairly quickly.

they have to be mantle up. Tridacna clams gain almost all of their energy from their Symbiodinium spp. that live in their mantels. if the mantel isn't facing the light source, the symbiodinium can't photosynthesize, and therefore have nothing additional to pass along to their host.

-edit- make sure you burp the clam when you put it back in the water from being out.