PDA

View Full Version : A bit of an odd project - I need help pls

kirsto71
05/15/2015, 06:28 AM
I am hooking a large UPS system that is capable of running my system for up to ten hours depending on the devices that are operating. In order to maximise the time the system runs I would like to ensure that certain devices are turned off such as lights or other items that are not critical. The way I plan on doing this is issue one. I think that I can rig a float by cutting off the actual float and wiring the two LEDs to a NO relay. When power goes out the UPS will keep the Aquatronica up but the relay which will be plugged in separately will trip and switch the float state. I assume this should work as the float is basically an open close circuit based on float position. Unless I am wrong.

The other thing I would like to know is if I have a plug that is normally controlled by either a Temp sensor or maybe another different level sensor will the instruction given by a second float sensor override the other sensors. I know that is confusing but basically if one float says to turn a plug on but a second float says to turn it off is the OFF instruction the priority or if a temperature sensor says that a plug turns on but a float says turn off is the OFF instruction th priority.

Thanks

nickjj
05/15/2015, 12:47 PM
Why don't you simply plug an AQ power bar that you want to have devices turned off immediately in the event of a power failure directly to the main power that is not on the UPS. Anything you want to have continue to run in the event of a power failure plug that AQ Power Bar into the UPS.

This way when the power is restored the AQ power bar that is not connected to the UPS can have the blackout functions apply to the devices connected to the bar.

kirsto71
05/15/2015, 07:02 PM
Why don't you simply plug an AQ power bar that you want to have devices turned off immediately in the event of a power failure directly to the main power that is not on the UPS. Anything you want to have continue to run in the event of a power failure plug that AQ Power Bar into the UPS.

This way when the power is restored the AQ power bar that is not connected to the UPS can have the blackout functions apply to the devices connected to the bar.

I agree that would definitely do it but due to two reasons I am hoping to try my original concept

1. The Aquatronica power boards are all wired into an electrical enclosure and the supply is run through an kWh meter/display. To require this although not impossible would be problematic.
2. Due the size of the UPS (industrial size Eaton 9130 with two extension modules with approx 6000VA each) I can turn on an off items such as the chiller or heater if required. I wanted to be able to do this manually if required if I am not home eg via the web. But I wanted them turned off initially to maximise run time.

RobbyG
06/08/2015, 10:23 PM
Marc to answer your first question, yes the Aquatronica and I would think all controllers have a priority sequence. If they did not have one then a float sensor might tell a pump to keep running even when the leak sensor says the floor is getting wet :)

Here is the Aquatronica priority list

Water leakage sensor program
Manual commands
Blackout
Function key: LEFT
Function key: DOWN
Function key: RIGHT
Function key: UP
Sequences Program
Level sensor program
High conductivity (density) sensor program
Low conductivity sensor program
Temperature sensor program
pH sensor program
Redox sensor program
Summer function
Wave effect
Tide effect
Program timer

To address your second question, the level sensors are not just open and close devices. I had actually done something like your trying to do years ago and what I found is that Level sensors have a high value fixed resistor in the two lines. The resistance value is different in each of the probes and that resistance is how the controller knows when you plugged a Temp probe into a socket versus a Level sensor. All the other probes that use modules use digital data to identify themselves. Now you could mess around with a level sensor and it would work, I got mine to work by doing some dremel work and soldering, but in terms of priority of the two of them contradicting each other on the same commands I have no idea. If you look at the above list a much simpler solution is steering you right in the face.

Your Solution:

The Leak detector has the highest priority and all you need to do is solder two wires on any two adjacent pins and if those are shorted together it will trigger a leak response. So just run the two wires to the contacts on your Normally Open Relay and when the power goes the relay will close and trip the leak detector and at that point you can write in a program for that leak detector to do just about anything you want to do.

Rob