PDA

View Full Version : pulsating xenia

thax
05/15/2015, 10:17 AM
does any thing eat this stuff? it was one of the first corals i got 3 years ago and now its on every rock and its starting to kill stuff i think. i went form not much growth in 2 years to growing like a weed under my leds for the last year. when i tried to remove it by hand it it just started slimming up and the next day my sps all had no or little pe.

any ideas on how to get this stuff out?

Newsmyrna80
05/15/2015, 10:26 AM
I dealt with the same thing a few years ago. It was choking out my other corals. I took out every piece of rock and chiseled it out. It took 5 hours. As far as in tank treatment the only thing I found is to keep the tank really clean..no nutrients. There's nothing you can add that won't adversely affect the rest of your tank. I've not heard of anything that eats it. I have read good things about FW dips killing it.

Webmanny
05/15/2015, 12:25 PM
Yeah. This is very comon on normal nutrient load tanks. These things can take over anything. The only thing I can recommend is cutting that stalk and placing a piece of epoxy over that spot to cover it. Of course the best option would be what Newsmyrna80 recommends, but that may not be an option for you.

Good luck. I still have a stalk or two of these things in my tank and the only reason I haven't killed them is because I have a super low nutrient tan and they just barely stay alive, but do not grow or spread, as they have no nutrients to motivate them.

scooter31707
05/18/2015, 08:19 AM
Try an Angelfish. LOL.. just joking. Seriously, I agree with the statements above. Reefer at my LFS told me that Aipasta X kills them. Don't know if thats true or not, first time of me hearing something like that.

Komfortable
05/18/2015, 12:43 PM
I would think a good, direct application of kalk paste would take care of small colonies. Maybe treat it like aiptasia.

lostintheocean
05/29/2015, 12:44 PM
I have a green file fish to control aptisia, It took about a month to completely clear my tank of xenia, there were hundreds of stems as it was covering about a third of my 72 bowfront. I liked the xenia and was sad to see it go, the green file fish also eats zoa's and nips at my leathers and gorgs if he gets too hungry so I would be hesitant about added one of these guys

thax
06/03/2015, 11:08 AM
I have a green file fish to control aptisia, It took about a month to completely clear my tank of xenia, there were hundreds of stems as it was covering about a third of my 72 bowfront. I liked the xenia and was sad to see it go, the green file fish also eats zoa's and nips at my leathers and gorgs if he gets too hungry so I would be hesitant about added one of these guys

i have one of them i had a bad mojo anemone infestation he wiped all of them out but he hasn't ate any of my xenia but killed all my zoas:( but he is such a cool fish the way he acts and swims and he always is hunting for pods just a cool fish and i wouldn't trade it for any zoa's