PDA

View Full Version : PraziPro excessive white poop

kenith
05/15/2015, 11:32 AM
When prazi kills internal parasites, is there generally more white poop? I'm on day 4 on another prazi treatment. I was seeing white stringy poop on and off, but not in excess. Now there is a lot more white poop than usual.

I thought I read somewhere that the effectiveness of Prazi is reduced while using CP.

Should the dosage be increased slightly?

Is it safe/suggested to dose every three days for two (or more) treatments?

nuxx
05/15/2015, 12:08 PM
I wouldn't up it.

I run Prazi and Paraguard before Cupramine on personal fish and haven't noticed it being less effective than running alone.

I'd just do 3 treatments each 5-6 days and see how the poop looks in the 2nd and 3rd treatment.

No reason to rush.

Zane24
05/16/2015, 05:07 PM
I actually asked a similar question to hikari this week. The guy who makes prazi for them actually called me and told me the white poop is actually a sign the prazi is working. It's killing the internal worms and you may see more until it's gone. Keep the normal dose and per the guy who created the formula of prazi do not skip a week. Treat water with prazi then 7 days later do a water change and repeat the treatment. Do that 3 times for a total of 21 days of prazi. Alot of people suggest skipping a week which I was told allow the eggs to hatch creating an endless cycle.

CoralsAddiction
05/16/2015, 05:38 PM
I wouldn't up it.

I run Prazi and Paraguard before Cupramine on personal fish and haven't noticed it being less effective than running alone.

+1. I don't normally do this but I have been running PraziPro with Coppersafe in QT with wild caught true percula clowns. It still works.

DasCamel
05/17/2015, 12:07 AM
I actually asked a similar question to hikari this week. The guy who makes prazi for them actually called me and told me the white poop is actually a sign the prazi is working. It's killing the internal worms and you may see more until it's gone. Keep the normal dose and per the guy who created the formula of prazi do not skip a week. Treat water with prazi then 7 days later do a water change and repeat the treatment. Do that 3 times for a total of 21 days of prazi. Alot of people suggest skipping a week which I was told allow the eggs to hatch creating an endless cycle.

+1

You'll see more when the parasites are dying.

kenith
05/17/2015, 09:10 PM

Thanks. Good to know. Makes sense I haven't seen much white poop until the dose of prazi. I just dosed a second one today and yet more white poop.

Thanks all for your responses

sk8ter20art
05/18/2015, 10:40 AM
White stringy poo can be signs of an internal infection. If its the case add metroplex (metro+) to food and it will help clear up internal infections.

kenith
05/18/2015, 11:00 AM
White stringy poo can be signs of an internal infection. If its the case add metroplex (metro+) to food and it will help clear up internal infections.

Along with the prazi and cp, they have undergone two antibiotics, euromythicin and furan-2.

Zane24
05/18/2015, 05:06 PM
You can mix prazi and metro like APIs general cure, but as long as the fish are in good shape and eating well I would wait to see if it goes away after the last round of prazipro. If it still persists then use metro+ with food. I'd also use Seachem focus. It helps bind the metro to the food so the fish get the full dose. As I mentioned I'm going through the same thing now, and that's the route I'm taking after speaking with Hikari.

kenith
05/18/2015, 06:05 PM
You can mix prazi and metro like APIs general cure, but as long as the fish are in good shape and eating well I would wait to see if it goes away after the last round of prazipro. If it still persists then use metro+ with food. I'd also use Seachem focus. It helps bind the metro to the food so the fish get the full dose. As I mentioned I'm going through the same thing now, and that's the route I'm taking after speaking with Hikari.

The fish are eating ok, not ferociously like they used to in the main tank. I'm concerned they won't eat the metro laced food. Has anyone had issues with getting the fish to eat mysis soaked with metro?

DasCamel
05/18/2015, 07:09 PM
Yeah it's tough getting them to eat Metro soaked food.

kenith
05/18/2015, 07:43 PM
I'm on my second dose of prazi. I'll dose another round after 3 days and see where it goes. Label says not more than once every three days and the fish are doing ttm, so there won't be any risidual from the previous dose

kenith
05/22/2015, 09:41 AM
White poop is still persistent. It does not hang, I just see it piled up where the flow is lower. I'm in the 3rd treatment of prazi and 3rd day into metro (fish parm powder). Instructions say to dose 10 days, so I'll continue this, but does anyone have any input as to how to get rid of it?

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee130/kenithlaw/62E1EC69-C525-4A9D-8BA2-D15315809369_zpsrkgekiw5.jpg (http://s229.photobucket.com/user/kenithlaw/media/62E1EC69-C525-4A9D-8BA2-D15315809369_zpsrkgekiw5.jpg.html)

Zane24
05/22/2015, 10:03 AM
Are you dosing the metro in the tank or in their food?

kenith
05/22/2015, 10:05 AM
Are you dosing the metro in the tank or in their food?

Tank. They are skiddish about food as it is, so I'm trying not to do it in the food as it is.

ThRoewer
05/22/2015, 05:10 PM
I think the fish need more fiber in their diet.
The female of my second percula pair had white stringy poo and wouldn't eat well so I treated the QT with PraziPro. But because the water quality went bad quickly without the skimmer, I stopped the treatment after a day and did a full water change.
The white poo disappeared anyway and the fish started eating a lot better. What I now notice is that she grazes a lot on the green stringy algae that popped up after after the water change (A previous CP treatment had wiped out all algae). She still has "stringy" poo, but now it's caused by the algae fibers that keep it strung together but the white, indicating irritated bowels, is gone.
I actually found that if given the means, fish are quite good at self-medicating.

kenith
05/22/2015, 05:20 PM
Interesting. I got the new life spectrum algaemax pellets, but they seem less interested in this pellet compared to the regular one. I wonder if I could get them on it. I'm not convinced the issue isn't my leopard wrasse. He seems to eat well, but doesn't put on weight, though his usual pods aren't there to supplement his feeding

kenith
05/27/2015, 12:37 PM
The culprit seems to be the leopard wrasse. After 2 prazi treatments, he isn't doing well as he hasn't eaten and lays on his side. He seems to still be pooping white consistently even though he hasn't eaten. At this point, he's fairly skinny and I'm assuming the cause is an internal bacterial infection. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to revive, if at all possible?

Fish went through:
ttm with cp
Prazi
Ethromycerin
Furan-2

The fish are now in clean non-medicated water. The other fishes are doing fantastic and eating like champs.