PDA

View Full Version : Herbie on DSA 65

aggie13reef
05/16/2015, 08:34 AM
Hey guys,
I recently purchased a used DSA 65 reef ready with sump and stand. I need to spend the day cleaning it and getting it plumbed. It is not the rimless model. After much research on here I have decided to go with the Herbie method to plumb the tank. I will use the 1 1/4" for the emergency, 1 of the 3/4" for the drain and 1 of the 3/4" for the return. One of the bulkheads has a small crack in it so I am going to replace all 3 for peace of mind. This will be my first plumb job so I am trying to carefully plan how I want to do this. My current tank does not have a sump so I am still trying to research how I want to set mine up. I was planning on using flex PVC for the bulkhead to sump and return with hard PVC inside the overflow box. What is a good sized return pump for this setup? Does it sound like I am on the right track?? Also do I want the drain from the tank flowing into the skimmer section of the sump? Thanks for the help!

EvenFurther
05/16/2015, 09:05 AM
Nice, I saw that DSA for sale on Marsh. I'm reef noob, but I've been reading alot. Draining into the skimmer section is one way to do it. As far as sump designs, there's a few different methods that perform well. Some designs go into the skimmer first, some run thru mechanical filtration first.

aggie13reef
05/16/2015, 09:09 AM
Nice, I saw that DSA for sale on Marsh. I'm reef noob, but I've been reading alot. Draining into the skimmer section is one way to do it. As far as sump designs, there's a few different methods that perform well. Some designs go into the skimmer first, some run thru mechanical filtration first.

Yeah thats where I found it. Its a really nice tank in great shape. Yeah I don't really plan on mechanical filtration. I probably will just run to the skimmer. I am definitely a noob with plumbing :uhoh3:. Sitting here trying to figure out everything I might need when I go out to get supplies!