PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen Cycle

GoKingsGo
05/16/2015, 10:45 AM
It has been several years since I cycled a tank. It's a 30 gallon tank with about 15 gallons on water I have sand over organic potting soil substrate with a large piece of drift wood and about 2 dozen elodea plants.

I put half of a U-12 shrimp in about 10 days ago. I tested true ammonia level today. It is 8.0 ppm. My question is, should I remove the shrimp now, or leave it in until the cycle is complete?

Thanks for your help.

gone fishin
05/16/2015, 10:51 AM
Sounds like a freshwater tank on a saltwater forum. But, it may be wise to pull the shrimp.

gotnoclue
05/16/2015, 10:51 AM
Depends on the bioload you want to put in. If you are adding a large bioload leave it for a few days. Then take it out. If you are going to run a "fishless planter" then you are good take it out l.

GoKingsGo
05/16/2015, 10:52 AM
I forgot to mention this is a newt tank. Some of you might found the tank description very unusual. I posted here because a cycle is a cycle is a cycle. Thanks again.

gotnoclue
05/16/2015, 11:02 AM
Dude newts are amphibians. You dont have to cycle they breath air. When the ammonia builds up in the water they will just come out of the water till the cycle finishes.

GoKingsGo
05/16/2015, 11:05 AM
Newt tanks need to be cycled too.

gotnoclue
05/16/2015, 11:52 AM
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beginner-newt-salamander-axolotl-help-topics/f47-newt-salamander-help/63617-cycling-newt-tank.html
Here and this is a forum for amphibian care not saltwater reef tanks. Three quarters of what I just read said dont worry about cycling because every week come hell or low water you have to clean everything in the cage. Apparently newts are the poop monsters of the amphibian world. I had newts for a few years before giving them to my nephew and never ever cycled the tank. But I also had a hellacious filter on the tank that kept the water clean as well.

GoKingsGo
05/16/2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks gotnoclue. I posted the same question there, but it takes less than 10 minutes to get a response here and 2 days to get a response there.

I appreciate your help.