PDA

View Full Version : best way to get a rouge pistol shrimp out

Chitownpw
05/16/2015, 06:53 PM
what is the best way to get a rouge pistol shrimp out of my tank? This is not a typical pistol. It's a blue legged carribean shrimp - orange with blue legs about 2.5 inches. It's aggressive and has taken down a few of my smaller fish - i suspect - and comes after me each time I'm in the tank. It hides in the rock work so I can't get at it with any ease.

kendrid
05/16/2015, 07:16 PM
Clean out a small soda bottle and cut off the top. Reinsert the top backward and fill it water and some tasty food and put it near the shrimps cave. Once the shrimp is inside it should be trapped long enough for you to get it out.

Chitownpw
05/16/2015, 07:48 PM
My only concern with that method is another invert would go in and he will tear it up, but this was my contemplated approach.

Pife
05/16/2015, 09:50 PM
Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

snorvich
05/17/2015, 06:45 AM
Sometimes you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet.

This. However, you could buy a user controlled fish trap. With sufficient patience, that would work.

djbetterly
05/17/2015, 10:35 AM
I had this problem but I didn't have a corner large enough to fit a water bottle in so I built one with some plexi (super easy and cheap if you've never done it). In the end I setup my webcam on night-mode to record the shrimp as it seemed it only would come out at night. When I saw issues with the trap I would modify it as necessary...the biggest issue was the silversides I was using would float too close to the opening and the shrimp could get it without going all the way in the trap, so I tied the food to the back of the trap with some fishing line. It took about a week to get that sucker.

knutrainer
05/17/2015, 10:52 AM
When I was transferring all my critters to my new tank the pistol shrimp was the last to go. I had to remove all the rocks and it was still a chore to get it out.

Chitownpw
05/18/2015, 05:35 PM
I tried using a plastic bottle trap. I caught everything but the pistol. He might be on to me. I may try again next time I have nothing to do for a few hours.