PDA

View Full Version : Would toadstool sting a bubble tip?

FlyingPigNJ
05/16/2015, 11:24 PM
So, we had a bit of a mystery yesterday afternoon.
at 3:30pm, I found the bubble tip anemone totally deflated, and the nemos distraught and pacing back and forth.
I also found the pin cushion toadstool down at the bottom. It was place up high for the flow and the light. the toadstool appears to be fine with all the pins extended.

Thanks to my dropcam, I just now had a chance to go back and find out what happened.
So, the deflation of the bubble tip took awhile, I can't tell when it started. But I can see 2 possible reasons.
1. 30 minutes before visible deflation, a turbo literally pushed the plug the toadstool sits on from the bottom to the top, a very weird direction and pretty much the only way that particular plug can be dislodged. The toadstool fell, first into the BTA, then all the way down to the bottom by the glass.

2. 35 minutes before visible deflation, I dosed purple up....yes I know I know, snake oil and all, but the tank's calcium was at 330, I could use some calcium.

3. BTW was ****ed at nemos pooping all over it. ok joking;)

What do you guys think?
Toadstool? or purple up?

\Clownfish/
05/16/2015, 11:53 PM
I think it's the other way around

FlyingPigNJ
05/17/2015, 11:04 AM
The other way around?

tmz
05/17/2015, 01:29 PM
I think the bubble tip anemone would sting the sacrophyton over time. Purple up won't add any useable calcium. The anemone will close when jostled.

hotelbravo
05/17/2015, 01:30 PM
well for one I do not think you should be concerned with a fully deflated BTA they tend do deflate often and at random times for random reasons while remaining completely healthy. mine sort of does it like clockwork every night he deflates about 30 minutes before the lights go out and then comes back to full after an hour or so.
I would not worry about it

FlyingPigNJ
05/17/2015, 02:19 PM
well for one I do not think you should be concerned with a fully deflated BTA they tend do deflate often and at random times for random reasons while remaining completely healthy. mine sort of does it like clockwork every night he deflates about 30 minutes before the lights go out and then comes back to full after an hour or so.
I would not worry about it

So far, it always comes back with beautiful full tips. But they deflate for up to 12 hours at night, and sometimes out for an hour or 2 in broad daylight. (based on my LED schedule)
I'm just worried since I'm new to this.
Maybe my BTA, like the fish I have noticed, has jet lag:-D
They might be used to having light during warehouse/farm business hours.
My LED schedule is 2pm-12pm. (or 11am-3am with sunrise and sunset)

FlyingPigNJ
05/17/2015, 02:21 PM
I think the bubble tip anemone would sting the sacrophyton over time. Purple up won't add any useable calcium. The anemone will close when jostled.

Ah, didn't think the bta is more aggressive. They are pretty far apart. If the pin cushion didn't fall, they wouldn't reach each other at all.
I will see if I can secure the pin cushion a bit more this time. It's still lying at the bottom.

hotelbravo
05/17/2015, 04:22 PM
So far, it always comes back with beautiful full tips. But they deflate for up to 12 hours at night, and sometimes out for an hour or 2 in broad daylight. (based on my LED schedule)
I'm just worried since I'm new to this.
Maybe my BTA, like the fish I have noticed, has jet lag:-D
They might be used to having light during warehouse/farm business hours.
My LED schedule is 2pm-12pm. (or 11am-3am with sunrise and sunset)

its not uncommon for them to deflate while remaining completely healthy like I said above I would not worry about it. nothing you have said seems alarming to me.

FlyingPigNJ
05/17/2015, 04:52 PM
Good to know.
Thanks.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=10064&pictureid=69757