PDA

View Full Version : help identify a wrasse

john08007
05/18/2015, 06:45 PM
a few months ago I picked up a wrasse that I was told was a filamented wrasse. I looked online before I purchased him and it said that it was peaceful and reef safe.

Since adding him I am down 2 clowns, and my clown goby I have fished out of the overflow 3 times. When I put the clown goby back in the tank he hides in the top corner of the tank. Today I purchased a spotted hawk and a black sailfin goby. Tonight I see the hawk and no sign of the goby, the belly on the wrasse looks abnormally big.

I also saw him nip at the spotted hawk and my cleaner shrimp went near him and he nipped at him also

Rutrag
05/18/2015, 06:55 PM
I think that's a "red flag" grouper and not a wrasse at all. According to Live Aquaria, they get 11" long.

eatbreakfast
05/18/2015, 07:01 PM
I think that's a "red flag" grouper and not a wrasse at all. According to Live Aquaria, they get 11" long.

Agreed, that explains the disappearing fish. He is capable of swallowing something nearly his own length.

john08007
05/18/2015, 09:20 PM
Thank you so much for the help! thats what it is, I looked at pics online and it is exact. It looked so cool and the damn "national pet store" that ends in co said it was a reef safe wrasse. Since I put him in I have lost 2 clowns(one I never saw the body of), a green spotted puffer, a watchman goby and the black blenny was gone as soon as I put him in the tank. I can't believe he hasn't eaten my cleaner shrimp or scooter blenny. My poor clown goby keeps jumping over into the overflow to save himself.

Not starts the process to catch him and get him out!