PDA

View Full Version : 55 gallon cycling question

I MD
05/19/2015, 07:28 PM
I am currently cycling my 55 gallon tank (currently FOWLR and in the future anemones and distant future, reef) with Eco Eheim 80 cannister filter, powerhead, and dual T5HO lights (keeping the lights off while cycling). No sump or skimmer but intend to get skimmer after adding a few fish. Had the tank running with RODI and 50 lbs of CaribSea Live Sand for a few weeks and then got my 50 lbs of Marco dry rock. Did not seed with any live rock. Using 2 shrimp to get the cycle started.

Following are details of my parameters:

5/10/15 (the day I added the dry rock and 2 shrimp): pH 8.1, Ammonia 0.0, Temp 78
5/11/15: pH 8.1, Ammonia 0.5-1.0, Nitrite 0.0, Phos 0.0, Temp 80
5/12/15: pH 8.1, s.g. 1.026, Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0.0, Temp 80
5/14/15: pH 8.0, Ammonia 3.0, Nitrite 0.5-1.0, Temp 78
5/16/15: Ammonia 4.0, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 10.0, Temp 80
5/18/15: pH 7.8, s.g 1.027, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 40-80, Phos 0.1, Alk 2.4 meq/L, Temp 80

My questions:

(1) My ammonia is already coming down. I thought it would take longer since I don't have any live rock, but I guess the live sand is doing its thing. Is an ammonia spike to 4.0 ppm good enough, or should I add more shrimp?
(2) Should I now remove the shrimp or leave it in for some continued ammonia source?
(3) Should I be concerned about my pH dropping and my alk being low? From what I read, my alk is on the low end for a FOWLR. If I should be concerned, what do you suggest is best way to correct and bring up the pH and alk?
(4) Should I be concerned about my phos being 0.1 when it started off at 0.0? Probably some phos from the shrimp breakdown? or maybe a little from the Marco dry rock? In any case, cause for concern or no need to sweat?
(5) I was going to do my first 10% water change when the ammonia and nitrite both got to 0.0. Does this sound reasonable, or should I be doing weekly water changes even now? Or maybe doesn't matter.

Thanks for all the help.

SnoopyDaPimp
05/19/2015, 07:36 PM
Ditch the shrimp and follow Sk8r advice

LINK (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2488058&highlight=cycle)

Azedenkae
05/19/2015, 07:44 PM
I am currently cycling my 55 gallon tank (currently FOWLR and in the future anemones and distant future, reef) with Eco Eheim 80 cannister filter, powerhead, and dual T5HO lights (keeping the lights off while cycling). No sump or skimmer but intend to get skimmer after adding a few fish. Had the tank running with RODI and 50 lbs of CaribSea Live Sand for a few weeks and then got my 50 lbs of Marco dry rock. Did not seed with any live rock. Using 2 shrimp to get the cycle started.

Following are details of my parameters:

5/10/15 (the day I added the dry rock and 2 shrimp): pH 8.1, Ammonia 0.0, Temp 78
5/11/15: pH 8.1, Ammonia 0.5-1.0, Nitrite 0.0, Phos 0.0, Temp 80
5/12/15: pH 8.1, s.g. 1.026, Ammonia 2.0, Nitrite 0.0, Temp 80
5/14/15: pH 8.0, Ammonia 3.0, Nitrite 0.5-1.0, Temp 78
5/16/15: Ammonia 4.0, Nitrite 2.0, Nitrate 10.0, Temp 80
5/18/15: pH 7.8, s.g 1.027, Ammonia 1.0, Nitrite 5.0, Nitrate 40-80, Phos 0.1, Alk 2.4 meq/L, Temp 80

My questions:

(1) My ammonia is already coming down. I thought it would take longer since I don't have any live rock, but I guess the live sand is doing its thing. Is an ammonia spike to 4.0 ppm good enough, or should I add more shrimp?
(2) Should I now remove the shrimp or leave it in for some continued ammonia source?
(3) Should I be concerned about my pH dropping and my alk being low? From what I read, my alk is on the low end for a FOWLR. If I should be concerned, what do you suggest is best way to correct and bring up the pH and alk?
(4) Should I be concerned about my phos being 0.1 when it started off at 0.0? Probably some phos from the shrimp breakdown? or maybe a little from the Marco dry rock? In any case, cause for concern or no need to sweat?
(5) I was going to do my first 10% water change when the ammonia and nitrite both got to 0.0. Does this sound reasonable, or should I be doing weekly water changes even now? Or maybe doesn't matter.

Thanks for all the help.

Hey mate!

Firstly overall, looking great! To answer your questions though:

1.) It's not really so much about how high it hits, and more so about how quickly your aquarium can clear ammonia. In this case here it takes two days for 4.0ppm of ammonia to go down to 1.0ppm, so that's approx. 1.5ppm per day. Which is good. It's actually the right-ish amount of time by the way.
2.) Really I would have mashed it and distributed it all over the tank, but yeah take it out now if it's just really deteriorating now.
3.) Not really, no. My pH/alk never changed through out the initial cycle, but eh. It doesn't seem to be an issue though, according to others.
4.) Nah, don't be concerned. Nearing the end of my initial, my phosphate was wayyyy higher than that. 2ppm maybe? I think.
5.) Water changes are not necessary and doesn't really help with anything at all, in regards to the initial cycle.

What you want to do is wait until ammonia and nitrite to reach zero (and nitrate too, if you aim to have bacteria as your main method of nitrate reduction), then test your filtrative capacity (http://sosofishy.blogspot.com.au/2015/02/how-to-know-your-aquarium-has-cycled.html) to see how well your aquarium deals with well, food addition and all that.

If it works out, then you're set to start stocking! If not, then keep on with it. I'd still use shrimp/food/whatever though, and not a straight ammonia source. I like to know that my aquarium is actually able to deal with all that organic stuff, not just a single chemical.