PDA

View Full Version : corralline dieing

dcelrod2011
05/20/2015, 12:22 PM
My coraline has been turning white now for a couple weeks I have changed from blue and white only led to full spectrum and that's the only changes I have made except a bigger skimmer. My params are calcium 440 carbonate hardness 12 pH 8.0 phosphate 0. Anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Martini5788
05/20/2015, 01:22 PM
It might not like the stronger lighting. From what I have read it should come back though. Is that the only change?

ReefsandGeeks
05/20/2015, 01:23 PM
you're carbonate hardness is pretty high, but I'm not sure that would do this. How long did you give the corallaling between changing the LEDs? Was it well established in your tank and suddenly turned white, or is it new rock? The increased light may bleach out coralline just the same as it does to coral which also needs aclimated to light changes. If it's new rock, it could be light shock, you'd be able to tell because the darker areas would be less affected, like the underside of the rock. Often people report corraline grows better on the undersids of rocks especialy if they have very bright lights.

What I'd do at this point is back off of the lighting a bit for a few weeks, and double check your kH levels as 12 is quite high. That may be causing a problem, but I suspect the lighting for this issue.

downbeach
05/20/2015, 01:29 PM
The change in your lighting is most likely the culprit.

dougchambers
05/20/2015, 02:52 PM
Having the same issue with my coralline due to a light change. Went from 2x250MH + 3-110VHO to four Kessil A360WE's. Multiple spots about 1/4" in diameter scattered about the tank turned white. Throttled back my intensity and photo period. I ramped too fast...

Sk8r
05/20/2015, 03:39 PM
By ramping, dougchambers means gradual increase in photoperiod. Kick it way back to 2 hours a day, then bring it up 30 minutes every couple of days.

dougchambers
05/20/2015, 03:55 PM
By ramping, dougchambers means gradual increase in photoperiod. Kick it way back to 2 hours a day, then bring it up 30 minutes every couple of days.Exactly! :thumbsup: