PDA

View Full Version : Do in need to rinse this sand?

One fish
05/21/2015, 04:46 AM
I think I am going to use this kind of sand. Does anyone else use this and should I rinse it first or can I just dump it in? Thanks!318379

fishgate
05/21/2015, 05:14 AM
Rinse, rinse, rinse and then rinse some more. And even then it will take a day or 3 to settle out and be clear.

billdogg
05/21/2015, 06:20 AM
^^^What he said^^^

Then rinse it like 5 more times. Tapwater is just fine for this - the tiny amount left in the sand will not hurt a thing. If you are really, really OCD, final rinse it ro/di, but I never have. Not worth the effort IMO

RocketEngineer
05/21/2015, 06:35 AM
You two forgot the stir part:lolspin:.

Rinse, stir, rinse, stir........

I do it in a 5g bucket, about 1/3rd sand. Let the dirty water overflow the edge of the bucket and keep rotating the bucket to stir the sand. Don't need a jet of water just enough flow to float off the really fine stuff.

Davileet
05/21/2015, 07:11 AM
Like Rocket said, I just put about 1/4 of the bag in a 5 gallon bucket and stab the sand with the garden hose and the water running strong. Dump the water out of the bucket when it gets full and rinse and repeat until the water is slightly cloudy to your liking.

ryeguyy84
05/21/2015, 08:43 AM
I can't say enough about the tropic eden sand I used in my tank. It was the cleanest sand I've ever used.

Shawn O
05/21/2015, 11:42 AM
I was wondering the same thing, I bought two bags of aragonite and two bags of fairly fine sand.

You two forgot the stir part:lolspin:.

Rinse, stir, rinse, stir........

I do it in a 5g bucket, about 1/3rd sand. Let the dirty water overflow the edge of the bucket and keep rotating the bucket to stir the sand. Don't need a jet of water just enough flow to float off the really fine stuff.

Sounds good RocketEngineer, do you think if I just have my DI hose running into a bucket and slowly pour in the aragonite once the bucket is full and overflowing with the DI water I'd need to rinse and stir it a lot? My DI setup is two 4 foot tall DI tanks that produce water as fast as a garden hose.