PDA

View Full Version : byprosis?

jminick2
05/21/2015, 08:54 AM
I think I have byprosis isolated on my frag rack and some frag plugs, is there a good way to remove the corals from the plugs with out damaging them? I do not want to let the byprosis over to my sand or rocks.

http://i1380.photobucket.com/albums/ah179/jminick27/20150521_104312_zpsmxkabofz.jpg (http://s1380.photobucket.com/user/jminick27/media/20150521_104312_zpsmxkabofz.jpg.html)

eddiereefs
05/21/2015, 09:29 AM
Razorblade is the best way. Or u can get a small paint brush and hydrogen peroxide and carefully paint the bryopsis algae with the peroxide. Put it back in the algae will die the next day. Obv dont get any on the coral, this is an alternative as u will prob lose encrusting by trying to pry off frag

soulpatch
05/21/2015, 09:37 AM
peroxide doesnt bother most corals. My sps, zoas, clam, and lps are all fine with it.

Mix the peroxide with some baking soda to make a paste for easier application if you want to do it in tank.

soulpatch
05/21/2015, 09:43 AM
https://youtu.be/iktnG5GQg6k

here is short vid on the paste

Tarawa
05/21/2015, 08:30 PM
Thats awesome, soul. I would have assumed peroxide would have nuked things pretty badly

Reef Frog
05/21/2015, 09:42 PM
Stony corals will easily survive both in tank and careful spot treatments of hydrogen peroxide. They may extend their defense tentacles for a short time and sometimes will expel waste from their guts, but otherwise I've never seen harm done. Larger doses can kill shrimp.

TO THE OP:
If that frag had Bryopsis and/or bubble algae, I'd pop that Acro off the plug and remount it on a fresh one - pronto. Although it looks clean, rememants may be left behind that can spread elsewhere.

If your tank is free of these pests now, IMO you don't want to take any risk whatsoever with introducing them now if you can help it. They are both horrible, hard to beat pests - with the bubble algae being the worst.

davocean
05/21/2015, 09:51 PM
I'd just pop frags from plugs and clean your rack, that's the easiest solution.

jminick2
05/21/2015, 09:55 PM
I'd just pop frags from plugs and clean your rack, that's the easiest solution.
If it's encrusted is it still doable ?

jminick2
05/21/2015, 09:55 PM
Stony corals will easily survive both in tank and careful spot treatments of hydrogen peroxide. They may extend their defense tentacles for a short time and sometimes will expel waste from their guts, but otherwise I've never seen harm done. Larger doses can kill shrimp.

TO THE OP:
If that frag had Bryopsis and/or bubble algae, I'd pop that Acro off the plug and remount it on a fresh one - pronto. Although it looks clean, rememants may be left behind that can spread elsewhere.

If your tank is free of these pests now, IMO you don't want to take any risk whatsoever with introducing them now if you can help it. They are both horrible, hard to beat pests - with the bubble algae being the worst.
I wish I had the bubble algae my rabbit fish loves it. He won't touch this stuff.

davocean
05/21/2015, 09:57 PM
Bone cutters should pop them right off

jminick2
05/21/2015, 10:02 PM
Bone cutters should pop them right off
I checked home depot for some not to long ago and asked an associate and he looked like he was going to call the cops. I guess I'll have to order some online.

davocean
05/21/2015, 10:08 PM
I'm assuming you mean frag plugs encrusted, maybe you meant rack, not sure, but a cheap pair of bonecutters(like 5-7 bucks) work like a charm and should be in everyones kit IMO.
It's kind of a bummer you'll lose the encrusted plug which I usually keep and let grow, but it's better than fighting bry.
Many have had great luck using Tech M magnesium as a solution to bry, I know I have.
I heard rumors they may be or have changed their formula though, can't say for sure if that is true, maybe someone will chime on that one.

jminick2
05/21/2015, 10:16 PM
I'm assuming you mean frag plugs encrusted, maybe you meant rack, not sure, but a cheap pair of bonecutters(like 5-7 bucks) work like a charm and should be in everyones kit IMO.
It's kind of a bummer you'll lose the encrusted plug which I usually keep and let grow, but it's better than fighting bry.
Many have had great luck using Tech M magnesium as a solution to bry, I know I have.
I heard rumors they may be or have changed their formula though, can't say for sure if that is true, maybe someone will chime on that one.
Yea I meant plugs.

davocean
05/21/2015, 10:25 PM
Gotcha, when I first looked at your post quoting me I did not see a reply, perhaps edit.
Yeah, bone cutters sound weird to those that don't know.
Foster or marine depot