PDA

View Full Version : Blue Throat odd behavior

reefkeeper2
05/21/2015, 12:42 PM
I've had a pair of Blue Throat triggers in my reef for about 8 years. They have been my favorite fish. They even spawned a few times. Sadly today I discovered the female dead. The male was hovering around the rocks were her body was and that's how I found her. It looked like she had been dead at least a day or maybe two. Anyway as soon as I removed her the male went into hiding. His puppy dog friendly behavior changed. He stays in the rockwork and hides when I approach the tank. His color has also changed. His usually grey body has turned black. Otherwise he looks healthy.
I don't have a clue why the female died. All the other fish in the tank (427 gal) are healthy and fat. She showed no sign of distress.There have been no new introductions. Could the males behavior be the result of the females death? Has anyone ever observed fish behavior change at the death of its mate?

Dmorty217
05/21/2015, 01:11 PM
I would attribute the change in behavior and appearance to the loss of the female. You could try and get another female to help him along

reefkeeper2
05/21/2015, 01:35 PM
I plan to do that. Already called my LFS and asked.

nuxx
05/21/2015, 02:34 PM
I would attribute the change in behavior and appearance to the loss of the female. You could try and get another female to help him along

Good idea :)

Was going to say the same thing :thumbsup:

brett559
05/21/2015, 02:37 PM
8 years. That's so sad. Gave me "Where the Red Fern Grows" flashbacks.

Sorry about your loss.