PDA

View Full Version : Newbe Question #01, 02

Westfield
05/21/2015, 02:40 PM
Have a new 10 gallon with filter organic/bio/sponge, four live rocks, clean sand, 3 hard corals, led white/blue light, 3 snails, 3 crabs, heater set to 77, 9 hours LED white/blue lite. Coral ONLY

1)I understand I should change my water approx. 10%? of my water?? how often?

2) I have salt water provide by coral shop and distilled with additive Replenish Trace Mineral Element? Which should I use to supplement for evaporation? and which to replace the 10%

3) I am feeding with Hakari "coral gumbo" (40/pack 1.75oz total or 1.2 gams each cub e) one each fresh fish food cubes? Is this a good food and how often?

Thanks Westfield

homer1475
05/21/2015, 02:48 PM
I change 5g every week religiously in a 30g DT. Use salt water for the water change.

Evap shoujld be replaced with plain RO/DI water. water evaporates, salt doesn't. So by adding new salt water as evap, your salinity will skyrocket. Always use plain RO/DI water to replace evaporation.

It's best to mix up what you feed your fish with different foods. You wouldn't want to eat the same thing every day for the rest of your life would you? I give pellets, flakes, a mixed up mash I hand make consiting of clams, shrimp, scallops, mysis and brine shrimp, as well as frozen mysis cubes, nori strips, phytoplankton(Kent microvert for my filter feeders), reef chilli, and frozen blood worms as a treat. I feed all of these at different days of the week to offer a variety.