PDA

View Full Version : Galathea crabs

GoldeneyeRet
05/21/2015, 06:26 PM
I bought one of these on DD six months ago. I wasn't expecting to ever see it as my "research" led me to believe it is a tiny, reclusive critter that would be lost in my 120.

That is not at all what I got. It has grown very quickly and is now pretty good sized. It is colorful, has an amusing personality and is an active feeder that is easily as visible as my cleaner shrimps. It is comical to watch and I really enjoy it. But it is certainly not like the descriptions I read here and elsewhere before I ordered it.

That got me thinking.... Will this thing really stay reef safe? Small fish safe? Could I safely add another to my tank?

I am hoping there are more recent experiences now. When I got this guy information was scarce. DD has had a ton of them in the last year so someone should be able to chime in with recent experience since they have to be selling them somewhere!

As always, thanks RC!

Calappidae
05/21/2015, 09:23 PM
They are usually considered safe around other livestock.

Those crabs are generally found being hosted by sponges.

GoldeneyeRet
05/22/2015, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. Could I safely add another? Anyone else have one? Here is a poor phone picture from a couple months ago:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/Goldeneyeretriever/galathea%20crab.jpg

Betta132
05/22/2015, 05:09 PM
Squat lobsters are generally considered to be safe with basically everything else. You can probably add another in that sized tank, yes.

GoldeneyeRet
05/22/2015, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the advice.