PDA

View Full Version : Pest problem?

Dan.R
05/22/2015, 01:18 PM
First post on reef central so bear with me.....

So I've had my 200l reef tank running for almost 2 years now and I've had the intermittent problems that you get with algae pests etc that I've dealt with but this one is confusing me and I'd like some help if possible.
I have a strange tan colour bloom growing at the top of my tank that is eating away at my coral population slowly and I'm not sure what it is or how to stop it.
If I'm being totally stupid here please forgive me I guess I'm still pretty new to this and have a ways to go but I'm real proud of my tank and this could wipe it out!

Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

P.S tried to upload a photo but it won't let me for some reason will give it another go when I get back to my home laptop

Nina51
05/22/2015, 01:31 PM
welcome to the forums, dan!

the only thing that comes to mind immediately is brown jelly disease. google that and see if the pics match what you have going on.

coralsnaked
05/22/2015, 01:34 PM
Yes if it is flat and attached to only LPS then brown jelly could be most likely a culprit. If it is stringy and sticks to glass power heads coral etc... then most likely dinos

Dan.R
05/23/2015, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the quick response guys!
Looking at those they're not even close to this it's almost as if there are lots of tan coloured dandelions growing in and around the corals and they seem to be killing off coral wherever they grow its mainly around my Xenia

coralsnaked
05/23/2015, 11:17 AM
Ohhhh not an algae but more likely some type of pest anemone. Google aptasia or mojano or just pest anemone

ZeeSparrow
05/23/2015, 11:21 AM
Aptasia or hydroids?

Dan.R
05/23/2015, 01:42 PM
No much smaller than those about 2mm across at most and similar shape to a dandelion

Sk8r
05/23/2015, 05:04 PM
Could be hydroids. Can you get a pic? If you use photobucket free account, it will resize a pic for display here. Just use the pic icon in your edit function and copy the url from the convenient blank on photobucket.

And welcome in!