PDA

View Full Version : Keeping a large tank with a well/septic. Is it realistic?

dom418
05/22/2015, 03:03 PM
Currently have a 210 and am moving to a septic/well area. I have a 500g waiting to be set up and was wonders how you guys do water changes on a septic system? Where do you dump your water during a change?

Also does the RO waste water go down the drain? I'm afraid it will stress the system out. Same as leaving a faucet on.

kewadiak
05/22/2015, 03:11 PM
I run about a 400 gallon system on a well and septic. I pump the water outside tho for water changes and i also run the ro waste water outside during the summer and winter down the drain. I also upgraded my rodi unit to the water saver 150 gpd from bulk reef so my well pump doesn't run as long making water.

Anim8me2
05/22/2015, 03:53 PM
Deep water well here. No issues after two years

jam583
05/22/2015, 06:33 PM
Now, I don't have 1 large 180+ system .. main DT is 130 total volume, and 2 frag tanks make up another 100G. So total, 280G. I have a deep well, never had an issue/concern about running it dry (esp here in MD). BUT, I did go through a well pump that was only 2 years old. But, I was tapping the water prior to the compression tank, so it was bascially constantly running. Either way, I've stopped making any water. I buy in bulk at a shop near my house.

Related to septic, I would dump no waste water into it. I don't have a "drain field" but septic into main tank, flows into another lage tank (just liquids). Very solid system, but I don't want that much more water going into it.

Related to water changes, I dump none in it either. I know, I know, our bodies have salt, etc .. but, I just don't trust it on my 30 yr old septic.

When I build my big big tank when we add an addition, I will have a drain that I can divert into a pit in the yard, that will be deep, lined with gravel, etc.

dom418
05/22/2015, 07:07 PM
Thanks guys, it seems risky to me. IDK I've been spoiled with city sewer and water I guess. I may just get out for a while

mfinn
05/23/2015, 07:04 PM
I've been in my house now for 24 years and I have had up to 400 gallons of saltwater, doing water changes every 2 weeks the whole time.
I am on a septic system and it runs perfectly.
When ever I've had it pumped, I mention this to the company and they say that it seems to be working as it should.
They don't see any problems with it.

ca1ore
05/25/2015, 02:06 PM
Agreed. Been in my current home for 18 years and have had a large tank for 14 of those years. Well sourced water is no problem as long as you use RODI (which you'd use with city water also); maybe the DI doesn't last as long due to CO2, but that's about it. Discharging salt water into the septic tank doesn't appear to have done any harm. I have the system pumped and inspected every two years and the system is not degrading unusually.

Art13
05/25/2015, 02:43 PM
I would think salt water would have no effect on it, you're softener system dumps brine water through it, so it's no stranger to salt. I only have 90g but all my waste goes into the septic, no issues, and my waste ro water goes down to the sump pump, eventually gets pumped out to the side of the house.

sde1500
05/26/2015, 12:56 PM
If it is a deep drilled well you should have no problem with it filling and maintaining that tank. I don't have much experience on well/septic, but probably just put about 2k gallons into my pool to get it ready this year, and didn't run out of water.