PDA

View Full Version : Equipment help on a low-bioload 29g?

ReefNole
05/22/2015, 04:42 PM
Hi All,

It's been a couple years since I took down my 55, and given that we're in a semi-temporary living situation, I want to set up something to look at, but with minimum equipment / maintenance requirements. I've settled on a standard 30x12x18 - 29 gallon setup that will be a mostly invert tank, eventually topping it off with something that swims.

I plan on using black sand, and starting with the dry rock I took out of my 55. I don't have any corals in the near future, but the farthest I'd go in this tank would be eventual mushrooms or polyps down the road.

I've got 2 HOB "filters", one is a dual chamber former bio-wheel that I used as a HOB fuge for my 55, and the other is a single chamber designed for the 29. I'm thinking about using the dual chambered as a fuge for this one, with some live rock and beneficial algae, but I don't know what the other would be most useful for given this tank.

Mostly, my goal on this tank is to have something smaller that still offers a huge variety of shrimp, crabs, snails, and other critters to look at.

Knowing all that, there are still a few holes in my plan I'd love some help with (keeping in mind, this is more of a low-value, but not cutting corners project).

Lights: currently, the 29 has the stock plastic lid and single strip light. I certainly don't need anything heavy duty enough for SPS, so I was thinking potentially a 24" PC fixture? Not sure if those are even worth it anymore these days though. Literally all I'm looking for in the lights are a nice blend of white/actinic and enough wattage for mushrooms.

Refractometer: this is something I really skimped out on with my 55, trying to use the hydrometer. A quick scan on Amazon revealed there are hundreds for sale ranging from $29.95 to $300+. What is the general consensus on refractometer requirements for aquariums?

Single chamber HOB: Advice on what to put in this? Not sure if people are still running carbon / physical "filter media" on SW tanks anymore. Last I heard, bio balls, etc. were more of a nitrate factory than anything beneficial.

ATO: I know there are a plethora of these out there nowadays. I'm not opposed to making my own, but would be fine purchasing one for up to $30 if there's a setup worth the price out there.

Also, I plan on using my old powerheads for flow, given nothing in there should need much flow, using my LFS as my water tester (but logging every test for my records), and purchasing a digital thermometer off Amazon.

Am I missing anything else to set up a little party for some crabs and shrimp?

For reference, here is an intended stocking list (in the order I plan to add them):
-Hermits (varied)
-Turbo snails
-Emerald crabs
-Some type of urchin/brittle sea star
-Peppermint shrimp (2+)
-Cleaner shrimp
-Pom-pom crabs (2+)
-Sexy shrimp (2)
-Fire shrimp
-Hi-fin goby
-Pair of Ocellaris clowns
-Midas blenny (maybe)
-6 line wrasse (maybe)
-Hippo tang (kidding, sorry I had to)

Thanks in advance!

ReefWreak
05/22/2015, 05:11 PM
I probably wouldn't bother with basic PCs anymore. Just buy some cheapo LED fixture on ebay. Google something like "reefcentral cheap LED light ebay" and you'll probably find lots of threads here with info on that.

I wouldn't skimp on a refractometer. It's not required, but honestly, you buy it once for $30 or whatever, and it lasts forever. Brand largely doesn't matter, I've never owned a brand one. If they calibrate, then I'm fine with it (buy calibration solution at 35ppt, seawater density, instead of just calibrating to 0 with ro/di water, won't be more than a few bucks).

No bioballs, but a hob is good for growing cheato in. Also helps if you decide to add some GFO. I currently don't use any chemical media on my SPS 29g biocube.

I haven't seen a good ATO for $30. $100 is the entry price, and that's for the Tunze one.

I don't trust crabs at all, (except maybe pom-pom) so I wouldn't recommend adding them.

Also, if you're still in 850, head over to High Tide Aquarium Service, Scott is the best, and he'll set you right. I set up my 24g nanocube there almost a decade ago when I was at FSU (for 6 years; dorm room tank), and he knows everything in and out, and he knows everyone in town who may have some spare liverock, equipment, livestock, or corals for you. Tally is a diamond in the rough for reefing. So many fantastic tanks and experienced reefkeepers.

And lastly, go noles!

ReefNole
05/22/2015, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the details!

I'll definitely run a quick search for LEDs on ebay

And I skimped on the refractometer last time, but I won't make that mistake again. I was just checking if the $30 are actually worthwhile, or (like LEDs) if there was a certain specification that aquarists rely on. Sounds like any brand will do.

Regarding the HOB, I plan on using one for cheato, but didn't know if the other I have laying around could be useful, or not necessarily.

I may look into buying an ATO at some point, but for now I'll probably just do it manually, especially considering the low cost of most of my inhabitants.

Regarding crabs, it will be an entirely crab, snail, shrimp tank for a good while. I've never had problems with mixing those in the past (assuming the crabs I listed, and nothing too big). Is anything up in the livestock list cautioned against from a compatibility standpoint?

And finally, re: 850, I actually need to change that. I took down my 55 to move to Tallahassee (for FSU), but recently graduated and moved out to Dallas. But still, of course, go noles!

juniorrocketdad
05/22/2015, 06:41 PM
My only comment is that your stock list looks pretty large, I might pass on the sixline if I had to pick from your options, I have one in my 34 and he is peaceful but think about the space the fish will call its own, for example a blenny might find a ledge or something to perch on where a goby will be in the sand, if you want a sixline make sure you don't have any fish that have similar territory to it, min really loves going through a few of my caves so I can't get a fish that also will chose to occupy those caves. And also there is a chance those clowns will become aggressive to other fish in a tank of that size especially when spawning so you may want to consider just getting 1 but they also can be peaceful given the right circumstances, so just take this into consideration and remember with animals especially crabs, they are unpredictable and all you can do is give yourself the best odds for success, btw I liked your tang joke but so many people actually put them in, sometimes I just don't get people

cherubfish pair
05/22/2015, 07:56 PM
If you go refractometer get a Red Sea. On the brand I have the lines are so close together it's hard to read. Red Sea is easy to read. Or get a glass floating hydrometer, but not a swing type hydrometer.

On the tank I'd go 30 gallon and not 29. 30 is 6 inches longer and a few shorter. More suitable for reef.

ATO: autotopoff.com is inexpensive.

sixline wrasse: the females are much more docile than the males. Trouble is telling them apart.

Definitely get a nano skimmer, they will export DOCs, oxygenate your water, raise ORP, provide gas exchange, and many other good things.