PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding mixing salts

micielo719
05/23/2015, 07:56 AM
Ok, so I am in the process of setting up my 120DT W/40B sump and went to Petsmart to pick up some Reef Crystals. I ended up buying the last 160 bucket for $30. Now no stores have anymore in stock anywhere. So my question is they are having a sale on regular IO for $26 a bucket. Should I get a couple of buckets of that and when I set up my tank start with which? I will start off with fish, live rock and some coral. So basically I'm asking if it's ok to mix the salts together at a later time? I don't want to have buckets of regular IO sitting around if there not going to be able to be mixed with the Reef Crystals. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated as I'm out and ready to go pick up a few buckets. Thanks guys

uncleL
05/23/2015, 08:03 AM
That will be fine, I have IO and Kent Reef salt mixed.

uncleL
05/23/2015, 08:11 AM
You are just setting up? If so.... check DR Tim's on youtube and it works!!!!! No waiting!!

micielo719
05/23/2015, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the info.. Yes just setting. I'll give DR Tims a view for sure. Thanks!

micielo719
05/23/2015, 08:33 AM
Which one should I start out with? I have no water in the tank so I'm starting fresh. IO or reef crystals? Thank you

dkeller_nc
05/23/2015, 08:33 AM
Wow - that's a heck of a deal on IO. Wish I'd known about it - I've a feeling there's a reason why PS is "out of stock" for 'net orders for the 160 gal bucket.

But yes, there's no reason why you can't mix IO and Reef Crystals. Essentially, Reef Crystals is just Instant Ocean with some additional calcium chloride added to boost the Ca concentration of the resulting seawater mix (approximately 400 ppm for Instant Ocean versus 450 ppm for Reef Crystals). In fact, many of us on the chemistry forum simply purchase Instant Ocean and add a bit of calcium chloride to adjust the calcium concentration to where we'd like it.

And since you're cycling a new tank, the calcium & alkalinity concentration of the saltwater is irrelevant, even if you're setting up with bona-fide live rock instead of dry rock.

micielo719
05/23/2015, 08:42 AM
Awesome.. Just ordered and on my way to Picking up a couple of regular IO buckets now.. Thanks again DKeller!!

dkeller_nc
05/24/2015, 07:39 AM
Actually, thank you - I ran out to my local PetSmart and purchased a couple of buckets of IO yesterday based on your tip. Quite a deal, even considering the "extra" expense of buying it in the 160 gallon bucket instead of the 200 gallon box.