PDA

View Full Version : Is candy cane dead

Deep Reef
05/23/2015, 10:49 AM
My timer broke down in my qt tank. The lights didn't come on for over a week. This candycane doesn't look good. Do you think it's dead? It doesn't seem to be inflating.

Tweaked
05/23/2015, 02:38 PM
Color is showing so far from dead, just really starved and ****ed

Deep Reef
05/23/2015, 03:53 PM
Great I'll keep feeding it and giving it more light.

Thanks for your help.

Tweaked
05/23/2015, 04:51 PM
Suggest less light for now. JMO

Bdubz
05/23/2015, 08:16 PM
Agreed. As long as there is color and tissue it is not dead. Candy canes are quite hardy. Don't add too much light too quickly or it can shock it

genetao
05/26/2015, 04:12 PM
What I find helps a candy cane perk up, is feeding it.

Typically I'd target feed my corals, and start with a couple of drops of oyster feast mixed with some tank water and squirt it with a syringe/eye dropper. (Make sure all your power heads and water movement equipment are off when you do this.) The oyster feast should trigger a feeding response and soon start seeing tentacles come out.

Once the sweepers are out, I then target feed with larger meatier foods (e.g. prawn eggs, mysis, chili reef, etc). Something that it can sink it's teeth into. I find that they will grab the food, retract, eat, and put their sweepers again shortly after. If they haven't eaten in a while, I'dtypically feed the same mouth a couple of times.

Once everyone has had their fill, I'll turn on the powerheads again.

Give it a shot. Like I said, you should see a feeding response within minutes.

TWEEKEDTA
05/26/2015, 06:17 PM
318803 i have always had trumpet issues and can not figure out why.. I have Duncan's, frogspawns, clams, and SPS corals all doing good.. But as soon as I get a trumpet frag and put it in shades spot into task low flow within 3 hours almost all the outer skin shrivels to nothing and all that's left is center of trumpet.. I've had one of these now for over a year and just stays like that.. Hard to say light issue since it happens immediately and tried to target feed in a cap to get feeders out and nothing been battling this issue for years with these and there supposed to be easy corals..

TWEEKEDTA
05/26/2015, 06:31 PM
Params
Sal 1.026
Nitrate 4
Phos .02
Alk 8.7
Ph 8.2
Calcium 440
Mag 1480

youcallmenny
05/26/2015, 07:13 PM
Salinity down to .023, less light and target feeding is my vote.

TWEEKEDTA
05/26/2015, 07:50 PM
I started it in the shade and only after a few hours I could see it receding badly but it's strange that I have other corals that are fine.. Not growing very fast except for some SPS and clam but my frogspawn is out all 5 heads and happy and in direct light. But do you think by having 1.026 could have done that? Something I haven't thought of.. But want to make sure my SPS and clam and inverts stay happy too.

SaltyWalter
05/26/2015, 08:26 PM
I started it in the shade and only after a few hours I could see it receding badly but it's strange that I have other corals that are fine.. Not growing very fast except for some SPS and clam but my frogspawn is out all 5 heads and happy and in direct light. But do you think by having 1.026 could have done that? Something I haven't thought of.. But want to make sure my SPS and clam and inverts stay happy too.

I've always kept trumpets just fine at 1.026. I wouldn't lower to 23.

Maybe you have something in there picking at it? Could be lacking trace elements of some sort?

My vote would be based on other things tho. If you say it only took hours, then maybe you dipped it in something to strong before it went into he tank, or it was stressed from traveling where you got it from, or wasn't healthy when you got it... Or shocked by the change into your tank.

TWEEKEDTA
05/27/2015, 05:06 AM
ive had this happen 3 different times in 1 year all trumpet frags all doing fine in store. 2 of them i saw there for a while first doing fine. also i pretty much watched it recede with no pests touching it for the first few hours bc i knew this was an issue with last ones. and i only acclimated it, didn't use a dip. it was still puffed out and fine in the acclimation bucket too so, i just don't get it. i agree i think 1.026 should be fine as well. but running out of answers..

TWEEKEDTA
05/27/2015, 05:08 AM
i guess i just wonder if theres a chemical i could check for that could cause this that I'm not thinking about. i do a well water setup to RO with 0 TDS coming out also.

SaltyWalter
05/27/2015, 09:06 AM
I'm not sure of anything that could wipe a coral out within hours then, especially if everything else is doing just fine. I would get a second opinion on your cal, alk, & mag to be safe, could be a test kit.

Other than that, lighting and flow. Try getting one and placing it in no direct light or flow at all, see what happens.

Tweaked
05/27/2015, 11:27 AM
Hey! I am Tweaked lol what the heck :worried:

TWEEKEDTA
05/28/2015, 05:29 AM
lol yes i saw that, yea thats what i did to it was underneath a rock ledge in shade and very little flow. but yea ill bring some water into fish store so they can check too, i checked with red sea kits.