PDA

View Full Version : Blue jaw trigger

bvs12
05/24/2015, 09:28 PM
I currently have a female blue jaw trigger in my tank and she has been in there for about 2 months. I would like to add a male or a red tail trigger into the tank. Has anyone had experience with adding a new trigger to a tank that already has one. I have tried to look it up online but find to many conflicting answers. Any help would be greatly appreciate.
Thanks ,

RJT
05/24/2015, 09:35 PM
I had a male blue jaw trigger that was turning female. I bought a slightly larger female blue jaw after around 2-3 months. The first night the sub male harassed the new trigger. The next day they were swimming together. Both are still female months later.

moondoggy4
05/24/2015, 10:53 PM
They can be hit and miss.

CyclistMT
05/24/2015, 11:12 PM
Yes this can be difficult especially depending on tank size. I have added a male to an established female in a small tank (less than 40 gal) and it didn't end well (the male was larger too).

Recently I added a female to my established male in my 300 gal. There was some initial bullying by the male but things have settled down. They're not exactly a "happy couple" yet but he's not constantly chasing her. I attribute this to the female being willing to defend herself if he gets a little too overbearing.

Bottom line, the bigger the tank the greater chance of success. If you have a smaller tank then the best thing to do would be to remove the female and add them back together once the male is done with quarantine. Whatever you do don't add the male until he's eating and fully fattened up. Even if you have a big enough tank to get away without removing the female, the male will likely not eat for a few days after you first put him in. In my experience these triggers are always thin once they hit the retailer because they're just so shy at first they don't want to eat. And most wholesalers can't be/won't be bothered to get them feeding properly. So if your retailer hasn't fattened him up either it will be up to you and you'll want to do that with the male isolated in quarantine.

Good luck!

Bolivian Ram
05/25/2015, 03:07 AM
I bought a "Female" Blue throat trigger in March and added her to my 90 gallon reef tank. I added a male Blue throat about a month later. Besides the initial harassment by the "female" which consisted of nips and isolating the male near a power head, after a couple of days she made peace.

I'm assuming it worked out cause the "female" was sorta new to the tank herself and I blacked the tank out for a day. They are the same size. Also another thing about Blue throats, I think they are able to change sex, or at the vary least colours, from male to female and vice versa colours. My "female" changed into a male, has a blue throat, yellow outlines on her fins etc. The male is still a male. They don't fight and live peacefully. I feed them 2/3 times a day which I think curbs aggression.

Also note triggers and all fish in general have different personalities. So your mileage may vary.

Oh yeah another thing. Like I mentioned I think these guys are able to change sex. That's what I read up online too. Therefore, if you try to pair up your female, she may turn into a male or the male to female etc. IMO it's best to get a confirmed pair than getting one at a time.

Also if you decide to add a Saragassum trigger to your tank it can work out. Sargassum's have similar temperaments to Blue throats, perhaps even being less shy.

bvs12
05/25/2015, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone for all the help. I have a 120 mixed reef tank. And my female has been a model citizen so far. Never picked on anything and has great personality.

Reel North
05/25/2015, 07:12 AM
They don't change sex. The males will change their colours to be subdominant (female coloration). I bought a "female" that closed up into a beautiful male. Feed them lots.

bvs12
05/25/2015, 07:20 AM
There is a beautiful male at my lfs right now for $100. He is probably an 1 inch bigger then my female. Also have the option of buying a red tail from a nother member. Also about an inch bigger for $70.

Reel North
05/25/2015, 08:17 AM
Get the sargassum (red tail). I have one. Amazing

Dmorty217
05/25/2015, 08:31 AM
With your tank size and being that you already have a female blue throat, you could add a male that is larger than your current female or a saragassum trigger of any size. The "Reef Safe" triggers are very docile and not aggressive.

qasim99
05/25/2015, 08:34 AM
I thought i had a female and then i added a male. Both lived together peacefully for several months until the one i thought was a female started developing the blue jaw and yellow fins etc. The bigger one then started harassing the other one which forced me to sell one of them.

moondoggy4
05/25/2015, 09:50 AM
My male BJT was dominate and the other male was getting his full color the more he colored up the more the male would chase him. At one time the smaller one was a female or I at least I thought so then turned male that is when the problems started I had to get out the first one I could catch, this also was in a 120 tank.

Dmorty217
05/25/2015, 11:24 AM
The blue throats and crosshatches can be very difficult to keep in pairs since one always seems to change

bvs12
05/25/2015, 12:19 PM
I know mine is a female because she was a mated pair in my friends tank and the male died. I got the female from my friends tank.

Dmorty217
05/25/2015, 12:44 PM
That's not to say if you got another male that the female would stay female or the male would stay male.

bvs12
05/26/2015, 06:15 PM
Thank you everyone for the help. Think I will be going with the blue jaw that my lfs has. He is a little bigger then the female. Hope all goes well and he keeps his colors.

Dmorty217
05/26/2015, 06:37 PM
Let us know how it goes

bvs12
06/01/2015, 01:58 PM
319333 He has been in the tank for about 30 hours and he is doing great. Eating and swimming around. Still a little skittish.

Bolivian Ram
06/01/2015, 02:46 PM
Nice Bluethroat!

I think they are always skittish regardless of how long one has them:P

It's their nature.

bvs12
06/12/2015, 05:53 PM
He has been in the tank for a fee weeks now. He is doing great. The female and male are getting along great and swim together from time to time. Also his personality has come out. He is always out and swimming around. Comes right over to me when he sees me walk up to the tank.