PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using Kessil a360N?

VJV
05/25/2015, 06:27 AM
Hi, if anyone is using the N model of the a360 would very much appreciate your thoughts no these in termos of

1) light coverage
2) depth penetration
3) how high above your tanks you have the lights and how deep is your tank.

Kessil states that you can place the N 4-5 feet above the object to be illuminated. I find this confusing and would imply that in a 24'' deep tank you could place the light 24'' above the surface...??? It seems a bit excessive.

I currently have the W but would like to trade for the Ns so that I can mount them higher, but can not find out much info on these. Input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Coelli
05/25/2015, 01:48 PM
I have 2 360NEs over my 24" deep tank, about 9" above the water surface. Light penetration is very good. I may raise them or get another though as I have them 12" in on either side and the top corners of the tank aren't getting enough light (I have coral mounted on my rock wall). I think the lights could be hung higher.

VJV
05/25/2015, 03:03 PM
Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who actually has the N version. There are tons of threads on the W but almost none on these!

Coelli
05/25/2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks! Nice to hear from someone who actually has the N version. There are tons of threads on the W but almost none on these!

Yeah, most people have Ws. :) My LFS is the one who talked me into them, saying he'd swap them for the Ws if I wasn't happy with them. He said for the depth of my tank I'd be better off with the Ns.

Reefvet
05/25/2015, 06:16 PM
I have Ns and Ws. I run a pair of Ns over a 40 breeder. At 10" over the water they cover it nicely. So that's 18" X 18" coverage at a height of 26" from the bottom of the tank.

The Ns create a more directional light obviously. PAR is higher at the center compared to the edges. Ws fall off more evenly.

Coelli
05/25/2015, 06:56 PM
I have Ns and Ws. I run a pair of Ns over a 40 breeder. At 10" over the water they cover it nicely. So that's 18" X 18" coverage at a height of 26" from the bottom of the tank.

The Ns create a more directional light obviously. PAR is higher at the center compared to the edges. Ws fall off more evenly.

A 40B is 36", right? How do you have them spaced across the tank? Mine are at 12" and 24" from left to right, but I'm wondering if I should space them further apart in the middle, or leave them where they are and raise them (and increase the intensity).

Reefvet
05/26/2015, 12:39 AM
A 40B is 36", right?

Yes.

I'd place them however you get the best coverage for your reef. Mine are at roughly even spacing, but pointed toward the most light demanding corals.

VJV
05/26/2015, 07:18 AM

That seems to be much lower than kessil states. I guess you can raise or lower them depending on your objectives for PAR and coverage. I am thinking about swapping the W for the N simply because i want to hang the light as high as possible without having too much light spill. Plan to keep my SPS on the upper layers so i guess PAR will be enough?