PDA

View Full Version : Need a better ATO solution

Matt Dean
05/25/2015, 09:17 PM
Hey there!

Right now I'm using a float to trigger the solenoid on my R/O unit for my auto top off. Unfortunately, after buying a new R/O unit, the noise is unbearable. It is buzzing and vibrating all the time. If I shut off the water, or shut the valve before the float off completely, it stops, so....I believe the float is not creating enough back pressure to trigger a hard shut off.

Thus, I believe I need an electric, or hard physical solution. I do not use a pump. The R/O unit is hooked up to the water supply and fed directly into the sump. So, the cheaper solutions that use a pump are not an option. I REALLY do NOT want to spend $250 on a Tunze Osmolator after spending $200 on the R/O. Any suggestions for a cheaper solution?

Thanks

fishgate
05/26/2015, 05:17 AM
Are you saying your ATO triggers your RO system to run until it tops off your tank? This is not a good practice you will run out your membrane quickly this way by short-cycling the RO all the time. Not to mention that initial RO water that has higher TDS. Have you measured the output to see TDS?

You should separate your RO reservoir from your ATO reservoir. For an ATO I recommend the JBJ. I have it as well as the Tunze and the Tunze frequently fails while the JBJ does not.

Also using any commercial ATO will probably not work with your setup since most of them are programmed to turn off if they run too long. Depending on the output of your RO it might not be able to produce water fast enough to satisfy the ATO auto-shutoff mechanism.

Matt Dean
05/26/2015, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the input. I don't have a reservoir of any kind. I don't have anywhere to put one, as the tank is in the middle of my room on the lowest floor in the house. I get what you are saying. The TDS is 0 coming out of the RO which is a Vertex 100 GPD.

I've been running this set up successfully for 5 years now and it was only recently that I started getting the noise. I have had no other problems.

I use to have a float set up similar to the osmolator but it burnt out from the salt getting on the solenoid and someone suggested just the float. Worked flawlessly for years. I'll contemplate your suggestion, but don't know how I could implement it now.

Cheers

Hitch08
05/26/2015, 07:00 AM
These reservoirs are not cheap, but you can get one that is 6 gallons and only 4 inches wide. Maybe it would fit inside your stand?

http://www.watertanks.com/products/RO-18X4X18PE

Matt Dean
05/26/2015, 07:09 AM
Thanks for that Hitch. I have NO room in my stand. If I measured all the small spaces in between dosing jugs and pumps. I may have 6 square inches. LOL!

I will however see if there is another spot near the RO that I can put something. Don't think the reservoir is going to be an option for me though. That's the problem with no basement. I'm in a back-split.

Hitch08
05/26/2015, 07:19 AM
Darn!

atrain
05/27/2015, 02:37 AM
check out avast marine. I bought a pressure switch from spectra pure for my ato, it worked, however waited too long for refill (1"), which was too long for the surface area in my Rubbermaid sump. I had also purchased a avast davy jones lockbox for my skimmer, as a safety back up. I switched out the pressure switch from the lockbox to the ato. It seems to pick up the top off in about 1/2". I assume this is the same pressure switch they sell on their ato. Works like a charm.