PDA

View Full Version : Flow, micro bubbles, etc.

saltwatrluvr
05/26/2015, 05:49 PM
Hi all! I used to be an avid tank keeper (working at lfs, maintaining tanks, etc) 10 years ago. Moves overseas led me away from the hobby. Anyhoo- I was finally able to get a new tank. It was purchased from an individual who did not care for the tank at all :(. So, my setup:

90 Gallon w/ 1 nice 7" foxface, 1 maroon clown, 1 damsel. Very little rock, no coral.

20 gallon sump w/ bioballs. Has a skimmer, but not running right now, because I have been adding stability (huge nitrate spike due to tank move, and improper previous care).

Flow: Quiet One 6000 + Maxi Jet 1200 circulator (Both newly added)

Questions:

I purchased a Quiet One 6000. It is SUPER loud! This seems to be common? I can still exchange it. But, is it too large of a pump for my setup. I know it is new, but I am having micro bubbles, and wondering if I should downsize if I exchange it???

I seem to be getting a vortex at the surface of the water above both the return and the maxi jet. Are they incorrectly positioned, or again, are they too much for the tank. I never dealt with this issue in the past.

I leave my questions to you experts! :) Thanks in advance!

saltwatrluvr
05/26/2015, 06:41 PM
Anyone? Did I post this in the wrong thread?

Tang Salad
05/26/2015, 10:42 PM
Is there a valve in line after the pump so you can reduce the flow back to the tank?

saltwatrluvr
05/27/2015, 08:04 AM
Yes, there is a valve. :)

tdtreefer
05/27/2015, 09:55 AM
is the pump submersable? and if so is it completely under water? is it creating a vortex sucking air into the inlet from the surface of the water? i had problems with mine sucking air and had to raise the water level.

saltwatrluvr
05/27/2015, 11:25 AM
The pump is external. The air is being sucked from the surface of the tank water.
It is not constant, but occasionally a vortex forms either above maxi jet or above the return.

tdtreefer
05/27/2015, 12:23 PM
sorry i reread and saw tht on your op, sorry i dont have any suggestion, try adjusting flow with your valve, will probably make pump way louder, but it will help see if you need less flow to stop micro bubbles then you could return for smaller pump as you stated.