PDA

View Full Version : Alveopora troubles

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/27/2015, 02:22 AM
Hi all,how can I raise nutrient levels to make the daiy coral happy?.its in a medium flow area and med light.i skim 24 hours a day,and have a very healthy growth of cheatomorph in the sump.for a few months now I have a large number of snails in both tanks,all parameters seem ok,all other life (corals ,inverts,fish etc)mt dt tank is steady at 25 o'c (77).have had alveopora for around 8wks,it was fully extending for about 2/3of them,now it's pulled in,also it developed a small cut and leaked brown threadlike algae for a couple of weeks,that has now ceased.is the problem nutrient based,and what are nutrients and how do I check,increase,/decrease and maintain them ? Ty for any advice.

bertoni
05/27/2015, 02:48 PM
The thread-like algae might have been its zooxanthellae, which might indicate a lighting issue. I would try target feeding it. Mysid shrimp might be a good choice. Does it display a feeding response? I might also try some fresh carbon, in case there's some issue with allelopathy.

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/27/2015, 11:00 PM
Hi,ty,I run the evergreen I T 2060 led light unit.its set to max for around 4 hours and tapers in and out either side of that.mt tank is 1 mtr deep.the daisy is around the 40 cm mark from the top of tank,there is no cover on tank.do you it's too much or too little light?it doesn't extend anymore,but they are still there fully retracted.the eupyhllia torch is at same level and looks ok, as is Xenia (although slightly out of the direct glare ,at the side of tank on overflow pipe.both have multiplied in those spots.).with regard to food,I regularly hatch brine shrimp and put them in dt ,I also put in frozen mysis but the are quite big,both get consumed very quickly by the fish.i also feed fish with sinking pellets,algae tablets,flake,dried seaweed sheets,.and finally ,yes I do have a carbon sock in sump.i usually change it every 2 months,.do you think I shouldn't skim so much?because dt is usually crystal clear,although I do have to clean sides of glass every 4 th day from algae glaze with the cleaner magnet.?

Swip
05/28/2015, 02:51 AM
Do you test nitrate and phosphate?
I've run into problems with many corals, including alveoporas, before because I had to low nutrients. You could try feeding amino acids like fauna marin ultra min s to help with that. Worked for me.
Iron supplements help aswell with gonioporas and alveoporas.

bertoni
05/28/2015, 03:23 PM
The lighting might be too strong, or perhaps not strong enough. You might want to ask in the equipment forum. I am not familiar with that lighting. You could try moving the coral down a bit in the tank.

The Alveopora might do better with some target feeding. Some chopped mysid shrimp or brine shrimp should be a good food to try. You would need some sort of cover to keep the fish from taking the food, maybe a liter soda bottle with the top or bottom cut off.

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/28/2015, 04:11 PM
Will try them out .ty for your help.

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/28/2015, 04:16 PM
I have just discovered something moving around my tank.dont know how I never saw it before it's big,blk and moves like a slug or a snail,but quicker.its about the size of my thumbnail.it has no visible she'll,although part of its back looks like it's hard,like a bug.it has tentacles protruding from front.will put pics in .can you have a look and tell me what it could be,and is it good or bad for my tank?

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/28/2015, 04:21 PM
I have just discovered something moving around my tank.dont know how I never saw it before it's big,blk and moves like a slug or a snail,but quicker.its about the size of my thumbnail.it has no visible she'll,although part of its back looks like it's hard,like a bug.it has tentacles protruding from front.will put pics in .can you have a look and tell me what it could be,and is it good or bad for my tank?

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/28/2015, 04:22 PM
Pics are on my albums page,

bertoni
05/28/2015, 05:50 PM
That looks like a Stomatella snail to me. They are harmless algal grazers, and good to have.

OoooDRAGONoooo
05/28/2015, 11:48 PM
Ty jonathan

bertoni
05/29/2015, 12:54 AM
You're welcome.