PDA

View Full Version : Support your LFS

kmbyrnes
05/27/2015, 06:38 AM
I am grateful to live in an area surrounded by good/great LFS.

Although I have seen it happen on occaison, these folks are not always out to just sell you something. I have been advised NOT purchase to something, just because I read about it online or told that the cool fish I am eyeing will not fit well with some other one I already have. Remember to always research any advice you get, whether online or in person and then make your own decision.

Over time I have built relationships with folks at each of the stores I visit regularly. They know me, my tanks and my preferences.
Now that they know I am not just trying to 'Find Nemo', they are there helping me find the next coral or giving good advice when I get stumped.

These stores exist in a very competitive environment. Their margins are low and it's hard to beat some of the online deals.
Remember that your LFS has overhead for rent, utilities,employees etc. They have to make a living somehow.
So take advanatage of sales online, but always try to give your LFS a chance too.
I always buy food from one of them, even though it costs more. Why? Because I will always need it and they have it in stock and someday, I am going to need something - NOW - and if I don't help them out a little bit on the small stuff, they won't have that bulkhead or coral dip when I need it most.

I also try to give them a chance to get me a to get me any equipment I need. It doesn't always happen, but if the price difference is minor, it's worth it to me. Check with them.
They have access to wholesalers and while they may not be able to beat the 'best price' you can find, they may be able to come close.
A lot of big names have minimum advertised prices, so you may not save anything online, but you might be able to give that sale to someone you know instead of a faceless corporation.

I also don't mind paying a bit more to guarantee myself the ability to see my livestock in person before I buy. It's like having my own personal DD.

Wazzel
05/27/2015, 06:42 AM
I have a really good LFS and a really bad LFS. I only support the good one. The owner and I get along really well. I am upfront with him and told him point blank I do not mind paying a few extra bucks to support his store, but will not get ripped off just to shop there. His prices are just a bit more than on-line, but not ridiculous. He also runs all his fish through an extensive QT process, so I do not mind paying extra for fish from him.

Bill Nye
05/27/2015, 06:49 AM
If you have a good lfs support it but if you live in an area like me it's not worth it. Husbandry, knowledge and selection are all lacking at every lfs within 80 miles of me. These types of stores thrive off selling noobs equipment they don't need at a huge markup and fish that will go into a cycling tank only to die and start the process over again.

Rubasu
05/27/2015, 07:14 AM
I have three LFS in my area that are all good in their own way. One of them is just starting out (much of his stuff is in boxes, not a lot of display yet) and I got a lot of equipment from him (my lighting, rock, filter, etc) because he buys in bulk and wouldn't let me buy anything stupid.

Another one is where I always buy fish, food, and that's where I got the tank. It's a bigger LFS, but the people that I talk to know me by name and they are very knowledgeable when it comes to the fish, inverts, coral, etc.

But the other one ignored me when I said I was looking for a very cheap stand (because I planned to modify the outside anyway.) So, I won't go back there. On the plus side, it gave me the idea to build a stand myself, so he helped me in his own weird way, I suppose.

Always support LFS!

SecretiveFish
05/27/2015, 07:26 AM
I like my LFS and have been given good advice before to not purchase something. Unfortunately, there are fish in the main system are visibly ill right now. I just can't buy something that is already showing signs of illness and cross my fingers that it survives treatment...

ca1ore
05/27/2015, 07:27 AM
Always support LFS!

Why? It makes no difference to me (nor to the overall economy, I'd argue)whether I buy what I need from my LFS or online. If a LFS can be competitive I'll patronize it; if it is not competitive, I will not. This notion of 'supporting your local retailer' is an anachronism IMO.

FWIW, I do buy from a couple of my LFS, but only because it is advantageous for me to do so; not because of some elusive greater good :)

Rubasu
05/27/2015, 07:34 AM
Why? It makes no difference to me (nor to the overall economy, I'd argue)whether I buy what I need from my LFS or online.

Of course it doesn't make a difference to us nor the overall economy (arguably.) But it does affect the local economy of your area.

I'm not saying to never buy anything online, but if it's not much a difference price wise, then why not go to the LFS? I'll buy online if it will save me an extra 20% or so, but that doesn't seem to happen ALL that often. (Well, everything but livestock, that is...)

Raoul5Duke
05/27/2015, 07:40 AM
Why? It makes no difference to me (nor to the overall economy, I'd argue)whether I buy what I need from my LFS or online. If a LFS can be competitive I'll patronize it; if it is not competitive, I will not. This notion of 'supporting your local retailer' is an anachronism IMO.

FWIW, I do buy from a couple of my LFS, but only because it is advantageous for me to do so; not because of some elusive greater good :)

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I try to support my LFS and even sourced a lot of equipment for my recent build locally but getting livestock from my LFS has been a continuous disappointment. Additionally, the owner of one of my LFS is rather rude to people in my opinion. I still get snails and food there for convenience but the reality is they do very little to encourage my business. I realize its a tough business model but just like any other business you must adapt to the changing realities if you want to survive. I am consistently able to get better selection from on line retailers with similar survival rates and better customer service.

ca1ore
05/27/2015, 07:47 AM
Of course it doesn't make a difference to us nor the overall economy (arguably.) But it does affect the local economy of your area.

Does it? Online vendors are local to somewhere also. Maybe we should support the online vendors that are local - how's that for a paradox!

gone fishin
05/27/2015, 08:16 AM
I have one store locally, 40 miles one way, that I go to. I do not go there out of some altruistic motive. Usually it is someplace to go when it is raining or cold out. I have purchased livestock from them and they have got in some livestock that I asked for.

I have not purchased equipment from them sometimes they are the same price other times they are not. The convenience to have something delivered to my door will usually win out. Due to my location I can usually have BRS or DR's F&S delivered next day.

Also, a local mom and pop LFS serves a niche community if they go out of business I really do not think the local economy would be impacted.

sde1500
05/27/2015, 09:05 AM
The LFS I go to is great. It is a fish only store, and seems that they make the majority of their money building and maintaining tanks for clients. Went there to start my tank, since I knew they could help, and it is nice to see and talk with someone in person. I was a little worried since there seems to be some overwhelming belief here that most LFS are just out to get your money.

This place earned my respect after a few visits. They host events with other local businesses to give back to the community, they are very knowledgeable, and when I commented that I was interested in some corals, they said no! Told me they thought it was a bit early and would like to test my water first, just to make sure everything is in good order. I don't mind driving a little, and paying a bit extra just to support a place like that.

moondoggy4
05/27/2015, 09:14 AM
If I go 60 miles south there are great LFS if I go 60 miles west there are great LFS in the middle just a couple, so I travel a lot.

I won't buy equipment from a LFS no selection, or way over priced.

I gave what I thought was a good suggestion to my LFS, I stated that he should order through a place like BRS sell the unit for cost and collect the points so he can get free stuff to re sell. I figured that most of his bigger clients are doing that anyway so at least he can get points.

snorvich
05/27/2015, 09:25 AM
Why I do not buy from LFS.

+ They cannot afford to stock premium brands of equipment because the premium brands restrict dealers who cannot stock at certain rather high inventory levels

+ LFS for the most part do not offer guarantees

+ LFS do not offer rare or difficult fish because stocking them for a very small market segment is not profitable

+ LFS do not get "cherry picked" animals unless they have a large volume with their wholesaler

+ Some LFS cherry pick the best animals for their "stock tank"

+ Some LFS sell inappropriate animals to beginners

I know this seems rather cynical. On the other hand, LFS who do not have a significant maintenance business rarely survive:

+ Overhead costs are high (electricity, rent, etc.)
+ Paying highly knowledgeable people is infeasible
+ The vast majority of folks in this hobby want cheap fish and cheap coral
+ Spoilage rates of live animals is pretty high

Dmorty217
05/27/2015, 09:49 AM
My LFS are a joke and you couldn't give me a fish from any of them. I purchase online any chance I get for the better pricing, guarantee and sourcing.

eddiereefs
05/27/2015, 10:11 AM
Wow im sorry to hear that ur lfs around ur area are lackluster. I looove my lfs, i pay a tiny bit more, less of course then online because no shipping, and they call me and have webcams when the rarest sps arrive. And i live in jersey, if i lived in cali it would be game over, the fish stores there are next level. Plus who else is gunna help beginers out? There arent enough videos in the world to answer every question as it comes a long. I used to just call lfs and two seconds i had the answer, no praying for one on the forum

RDtrack
05/27/2015, 10:20 AM
I understand what others have said concerning LFS prices and low quality stock.

I do however want to put a plug in for LFSes in general.

As a small business owner I understand the enormous risk that a business owner puts into a business that has to operate a store front.

My wife often ask why don't LFS put more in the ascetic of their store. My respond is most are barely skimming by.

I know that as my LFS has grown they've had more money to bring in more rare fish. I know without support of my local LFS I know I wouldn't have some of the fish I currently have.

I know some LFS share false information but these stores don't last long and for the most part most LFS are trust worthy.

Selling saltwater is not a cheap investment.

I get irritated when my LFS uses the excuse that oh I don't stock dry goods because they are cheaper online.

If I'm spending $500 on a skimmer I want to put my mitts on it maybe that's just me.

Also how many LFS carry a good selection of plumbing products? A good a LFS learns to diversify to compete with the online precence.

Bottom line is please try to support your local lfs. Many of the online vendors are owned by larger corporations (I.e. Petco and Divers Den)

Remember the 'Buy Local' slogan. Not just for LFS but for other businesses to.

Sn8kbyt
05/27/2015, 10:21 AM
I have three LFS in my area that are all good in their own way. One of them is just starting out (much of his stuff is in boxes, not a lot of display yet) and I got a lot of equipment from him (my lighting, rock, filter, etc) because he buys in bulk and wouldn't let me buy anything stupid.

Another one is where I always buy fish, food, and that's where I got the tank. It's a bigger LFS, but the people that I talk to know me by name and they are very knowledgeable when it comes to the fish, inverts, coral, etc.

But the other one ignored me when I said I was looking for a very cheap stand (because I planned to modify the outside anyway.) So, I won't go back there. On the plus side, it gave me the idea to build a stand myself, so he helped me in his own weird way, I suppose.

Always support LFS!

About and hour away from you but check out Good Water Aquatics in Kenosha some of the best coral, fish, and deals I have ever seen.

nuxx
05/27/2015, 02:42 PM
I haven't bought a fish from a local store in years for many reasons.

I still buy food from one local store though. Just like the people there and they have been around forever :)

bmrigs
05/27/2015, 03:18 PM
I want to support LFS but am not willing to fork out up to double the cost for dry goods I can get online.

ca1ore
05/27/2015, 03:46 PM
Much as we might wish it to be otherwise, the internet has (and will continue to) put many a local, or even national, brick'n'morter store out of business. For a great may things, online is simply better. The ability to browse, or to source something locally in an emergency. is a wonderful luxury, but it's unlikely to be enough to sustain most local merchants. I don't think it's a coincidence that so many large retailers are scrambling to augment their physical locations with an online presence - even if so many are doing it as yet poorly. On of the SoLFS that I do frequent, now have a website.

anthonys51
05/27/2015, 03:53 PM
i shop small because i feel it helps the small guy out. one of few reasons. but i also wont get ripped off and the 2 stores i go too the most are very close in prices to online , but i live in new york. so within 30 min drive i can literal choose from 10 fish stores that are decent. but they all know me and mostly give me money off there marked price, i spend a lot and they know i know my prices.

anthonys51
05/27/2015, 03:57 PM
Got these sps for 16 each. Not bad at lfs http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/3cfd37595e382b487c285fb2ad642670.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/08319132f9377510cb73e9f4b5525a9a.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/27/ad29cd592924e8bb6aad575281e091fb.jpg

anthonys51
05/27/2015, 04:00 PM
yes i know last one isnt an sps :)

Spslvr
05/27/2015, 04:30 PM
i have several good lfs in my area, but lately ive been trawling the bad ones, not for fish no way but you find some really nice gems in the way of corals, these stores are overlooked by the guys that have been around a while and the noobs dont know what theyre looking at so i get to pick the cream and for cheap.

Eg i picked up a solid purple blasto that id not seen before it was 20 bucks, then a nice green goni with neon torquoise eyes 25 bucks, just dont listen to the "advice" they give.

i supose what im saying is if you know what youre doing there are gems to be found in bad lfs.

snorvich
05/27/2015, 04:52 PM
i supose what im saying is if you know what youre doing there are gems to be found in bad lfs.

For corals, absolutely. For fish and equipment, no way. For food, sure.

anthonys51
05/27/2015, 04:59 PM
Yes my lfs says he sells things so cheap at times because he needs to make room for new stuff. He needs to meet his quota with his supplier or they will cut him off

Reel North
05/27/2015, 05:05 PM
I live in Canada so ordering fish online from Dd or live aquaria is a nightmare. I live near Toronto, so have some cream of the crop stores around. I finally bought a few things on line from BRS. I just prefer the hands on thing. The exchange rate makes buying from the U.S. Kind of senseless. Online in Canada for "deals" is kind of a joke lol

lu9103
05/27/2015, 08:39 PM
My LFS has a great staff and they are very knowable.

CStrickland
05/27/2015, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't buy an airstone at my lfs. It is so decrepit and the fish are dying everywhere, I feel like if I gave him any money I'd be complicit in cruelty.

dogfish13
05/27/2015, 09:03 PM
Wow, now I definitely feel fortunate to live where I do. The Houston area has some great LFS that my husband and I go to weekly. Just yesterday I stopped at one of our favorites and they had quite the assortment like usual. Black tangs, white tailed bristletooths, Achilles, Tinkeri butterfly and even a gem tang. All for cheaper than Live Aquaria and every fish we've ever gotten has been happy and healthy. Great SPS frag tank too with $5, 10, 15 and 20 frags. And can't leave out FJW. Dennis always has great stuff.

sde1500
05/29/2015, 01:38 PM
Saw mention of this somewhere in another post, but figured it would fit here as well. My LFS' latest blog posting, all about QT. Granted, they kinda sorta say they do it for you already, but at least they provide the information.

http://www.somethingfishyinc.com/#!fishtechblog/cu0/Post/0EJNa-kn2hw.text

nuxx
05/29/2015, 02:24 PM
Saw mention of this somewhere in another post, but figured it would fit here as well. My LFS' latest blog posting, all about QT. Granted, they kinda sorta say they do it for you already, but at least they provide the information.

That's awesome :)

Do they tell customers to QT?

Tweaked
05/29/2015, 02:31 PM
"Amazon" is taking over the world! They are "amaz"ing. Wait till their coral section opens... "Coralzon" lol.

But really we are somewhat lucky to have so many stores in CT. Not all are equal, but it's a small state with many stores to choose from and get your fix on any given weekend. I have been loyal to one so long that it has granted me many privileges. First to open the shipments, dibs, can order what I need, discounts, a place to hang out and talk shop with the guys, etc etc. Priceless in fact!

snorvich
05/29/2015, 06:09 PM

I just wish they would not have errors in their writeup. :hmm6: