PDA

View Full Version : Quarantining CUC

mmn
05/27/2015, 12:14 PM
The mantra is "quarantine everything". I'm nearing the end of the new tank cycle and setting up a qt with just salt water, heater, filter, no sand or rock. If I quarantine some snails what do I feed them?

cloak
05/27/2015, 12:30 PM
You could try some Nori.

pdiehm
05/27/2015, 12:44 PM
reefcleaners explicitly says not to quarantine the ones that you get from them.

coolxborg
05/27/2015, 02:12 PM
I have a similar question. My DT is cycled but my QT is not. Once the QT is ready, i was hoping to buy my CUC and 2-3 fish to put in my QT but wasnt sure if i can put the CUC directly into DT or have them all in the QT.

nuxx
05/27/2015, 02:33 PM
I QT everything.

About to get some more turbo snails for our next round of fish.

Just going to throw them in a 20 gallon with some MarinePure spheres, powerhead, HOB filter and heater.

Toss in flake food, Mysis and nori from time to time.

Hitch08
05/27/2015, 04:28 PM
Do you treat them with anything? Or, just watch for something bad?

nuxx
05/27/2015, 04:30 PM
Do you treat them with anything? Or, just watch for something bad?

Just leave for 3 months without a fish.

Seems like a long time, but hey I don't want to lose a fish for something stupid.

Actually... would TTM work for inverts? lol

mmn
05/28/2015, 07:08 AM
Is that regular nori from the grocery or some fish-special stuff?

snorvich
05/28/2015, 09:09 AM
I QT everything.

About to get some more turbo snails for our next round of fish.

Just going to throw them in a 20 gallon with some MarinePure spheres, powerhead, HOB filter and heater.

Exactly. No need to treat them to anything except lunch. :hmm5: What you want to do is effectively obviate any of the motile fish seeking stages of a parasite life cycle. Snails contain water (a small amount) and should be quarantined.

snorvich
05/28/2015, 09:10 AM
Is that regular nori from the grocery or some fish-special stuff?

Special fish stuff costs more and is the same as grocery store variety that humans use.

nuxx
05/28/2015, 10:11 AM
Special fish stuff costs more and is the same as grocery store variety that humans use.

Been buying dry laver from the Asian supermarket recently.

50 pack for around $4. Bought 5 packs last time I was up there.

youcallmenny
05/28/2015, 11:46 AM
If your CUC is the first and only critter(s) then I'd think your DT just became your QT. :)

DDon
05/28/2015, 12:04 PM
Just leave for 3 months without a fish.

Seems like a long time, but hey I don't want to lose a fish for something stupid.

Actually... would TTM work for inverts? lol

Unfortunately TTM does not work for inverts since they are not hosts. Just need to wait it out for any attached tomonts to hatch and then die with no host present.

snorvich
05/28/2015, 12:55 PM
Unfortunately TTM does not work for inverts since they are not hosts. Just need to wait it out for any attached tomonts to hatch and then die with no host present.

Exactly.

JMorris271
12/07/2015, 01:59 PM
I am going to be away for 2 weeks over the holidays and would like to have a cuc in QT. We will have a friend coming to check pets while we are gone. Would my cuc be ok if I have my helper put some nori in the tank once a day?

jsbull
12/07/2015, 03:57 PM
If your CUC is the first and only critter(s) then I'd think your DT just became your QT. :)

+1 This.

You have sand, but if there are no fish, they have no host.