PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to put ATO return

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 12:44 PM
I haven't asked a question in a while so I'm due. This is more of a request of opinions. So here it goes:

Current setup with ATO:

Tunze nano; sensor is set in the third chamber of the sump with return pump; RODI water reservoir sits right next to the sump in a 5 gallon jug.

I started off by placing the return line directly in the third chamber with the sensor but quickly found out that having the line below the water level in the reservoir was not a good idea. You would think physics would come naturally to a science teacher right?

Next I tried running the line up to the HOB overflow. This seemed like a great idea until the overflow started to.....well.....overflow on to my carpet. Not sure why but adding the RODI water straight to it caused issues with drainage.

My ultimate option was to connect the line straight to the DT in the corner near the return line. This works but I'm not sure if it has effects adding fresh water directly to the tank without any mixing happening.

What are your thoughts/experiences with ATO returns??

ryeguyy84
05/27/2015, 12:49 PM
I have mine go into the sump but i made the hose higher than the container and it sorta sounds like someone is peeing in the tank so that was less thank ideal. i've since wrapped it around the overflow pipe so it just runs down the pipe into the sump. both ways are not ideal but have worked for me.

I don't see why adding water to the overflow would cause any issues. did you jam the hose down the overflow? or are you using a pump that pumps to water too quickly?

I'm using an aqualifter pump so it's a nice slow addition of the RODI water.

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 12:51 PM
I have mine go into the sump but i made the hose higher than the container and it sorta sounds like someone is peeing in the tank so that was less thank ideal. i've since wrapped it around the overflow pipe so it just runs down the pipe into the sump. both ways are not ideal but have worked for me.

I don't see why adding water to the overflow would cause any issues. did you jam the hose down the overflow? or are you using a pump that pumps to much water?

I'm using an aqualifter pump so it's a nice slow addition of the RODI water.

It's a slow pump so that shouldn't be the issue. I think by the time the effect of addition was felt in the sump it had added more than needed. Still not sure why the overflow didn't adjust though.

hkgar
05/27/2015, 12:55 PM
I use the Avast ATO with my Apex, but what you use shouldn't make a difference. My detector is in the return chambe of the sump and the water from the overflow can really pump tho any place in the sump or DT. Just DO NOT put the end of the fill line into the water. I run it into the sump and use quick ties to secure it so it can accidentally fall into the tank and created a siphon.

JammyBirch
05/27/2015, 01:01 PM
I use the Avast ATO with my Apex, but what you use shouldn't make a difference. My detector is in the return chambe of the sump and the water from the overflow can really pump tho any place in the sump or DT. Just DO NOT put the end of the fill line into the water. I run it into the sump and use quick ties to secure it so it can accidentally fall into the tank and created a siphon.

Ya what he said...not sure why you overflowed...but adding water to the sump whether it's a HOB or in the stand should not matter. Mine is mounted above the water line between my bubble trap baffles. I have a SMART ATO it came with a clamp to hold the tube out of the water to eliminate a syphon.

ryeguyy84
05/27/2015, 01:04 PM
It's a slow pump so that shouldn't be the issue. I think by the time the effect of addition was felt in the sump it had added more than needed. Still not sure why the overflow didn't adjust though.

I'd be worried if a little extra water in the overflow made it flood. something doesn't sound right. :sad2:

ZeeSparrow
05/27/2015, 01:04 PM

If you have the drain and return pump dialed in properly, then it kind of makes sense that adding more water to the overflow wouldn't work. More water there isn't going to make it flow any faster, right? It would do just as you experienced - overflow.

My understanding is that you should add the ATO water to the sump, when you are checking the level in the return area. Although it is okay to add to another chamber "upstream" from that area ... say, the input section (which is where mine has been installed). You just have to make sure that the output of the line from the ATO is ABOVE the water level in the ATO reservoir, or you can create a siphon. As my reservoir is next to the sump, in order to accomplish this, I put the output line into a piece of PVC pipe draining into the sump. There's a little noise from the water running through that pipe when the ATO kicks on but it's only occasional and not too loud. Yet. ;)

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 01:05 PM
Mine came with the clamp as well. Never worried about a reverse siphon. The problem with my sump is it sits a little lower than the water reservoir when it's completely full and will dump more fresh water than I want it to the first time round after being filled. I'd have to have the line above the sump which would cause the "peeing" sound as stated before by ryeguy.

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 01:08 PM
If you have the drain and return pump dialed in properly, then it kind of makes sense that adding more water to the overflow wouldn't work. More water there isn't going to make it flow any faster, right? It would do just as you experienced - overflow.

My understanding is that you should add the ATO water to the sump, when you are checking the level in the return area. Although it is okay to add to another chamber "upstream" from that area ... say, the input section (which is where mine has been installed). You just have to make sure that the output of the line from the ATO is ABOVE the water level in the ATO reservoir, or you can create a siphon. As my reservoir is next to the sump, in order to accomplish this, I put the output line into a piece of PVC pipe draining into the sump. There's a little noise from the water running through that pipe when the ATO kicks on but it's only occasional and not too loud. Yet. ;)

I really like the "pvc extension" idea. And yes I am thinking now about adding the ATO return line to my first or second chamber now (probably second so I don't mess with the skimmer section and skimmer efficiency). Thanks for the idea!!

Toddrtrex
05/27/2015, 01:15 PM
Mine came with the clamp as well. Never worried about a reverse siphon. The problem with my sump is it sits a little lower than the water reservoir when it's completely full and will dump more fresh water than I want it to the first time round after being filled. I'd have to have the line above the sump which would cause the "peeing" sound as stated before by ryeguy.

I had the same noise issue, a piece of spare PVC helped that --- it is open on the part pictured, and ends with a 3 way corner piece to support it on the bottom of the sump. The zip tie tied to the return line keeps it in place.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/210/DSC_0400_zps55cc34ee.jpg

brittonv
05/27/2015, 01:22 PM
Mine dumps into my DT.

skeeter_ca
05/27/2015, 01:38 PM
Dumping into the display tank while not the best looking will cause no problems. Haven't you ever seen it rain on the ocean.

150Ron
05/27/2015, 01:44 PM
Mine is in the return chamber of my sump

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 01:45 PM
Dumping into the display tank while not the best looking will cause no problems. Haven't you ever seen it rain on the ocean.

Ummm.....I live in Texas. Have you not seen the news lately??

:worried:

brittonv
05/27/2015, 01:46 PM
Dumping in the DT was a necessity for me as my RODI Tank is higher than my Sump and I didn't want it to siphon.

However I have a canopy so doesn't look bad, LOL.

Kyle461
05/27/2015, 01:47 PM
I'm seriously considering a canopy. Small one, but it would be something to hide some stuff.

brittonv
05/27/2015, 01:56 PM
The trend seems to be open top, but I don't appreciate the look of that as much myself.

http://thebrittons.net/vince/share/tank/front_small.jpg

kmbyrnes
05/27/2015, 05:45 PM
My ATO reservoir sits next to my stand, then an Aqualifter is mounted ABOVE the sump. The fill line is clamped ABOVE the water level in a tube holder clamp.
No chance for a siphon to start.
Once in a while I hear it dripping, but it never lasts more than a minute or 2.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bubble-magus-tube-holder-bracket.html

Steve Atkins
05/30/2015, 12:00 AM
Into the display tank directly here. Top is open but there is a surround on the top edge of the tank which hides it.

dorkymk3
05/30/2015, 01:23 PM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/30/47b62f1a1d3b45de8da2d46c28eb4d54.jpg

This my ato return to my overflow, I'm using a tunze 3152