PDA

View Full Version : hello everyone, does anyone recognize what this is?

Sonnyfl
05/27/2015, 05:41 PM
Hi everyone I'm hoping you can help me ID something in my tank. It seems to be in every square inch of the sand bed but most of it is just under the surface. i see it everywhere I vacuum and some areas like the one in the picture are always visible. I found this picture on RC through Google, my phone won't take a picture that shows them as well as the attached photo. Any help would be appreciated.

youcallmenny
05/27/2015, 06:13 PM
Green hair or turf algae. Is this a new tank? Did you use uncured substrate?

Sonnyfl
05/27/2015, 06:24 PM
I used a mix of the bagged live sand and the bagged play sand they sell at Home Depot. The tank has been up for about 10 months. I know it looks a little green in the picture but these are the same color as the sand, I'm not sure if that matters. Thank you for responding by the way.

Davileet
05/27/2015, 07:15 PM
I would take that sand out and replace with actual dry sand meant for reefs. From what I have always read, Home Depot sand has a lot of silicates in it which algae so happens to feed on.

intyme
05/27/2015, 08:23 PM
i would take that sand out and replace with actual dry sand meant for reefs. From what i have always read, home depot sand has a lot of silicates in it which algae so happens to feed on.

+1

CoralBeauty13
05/27/2015, 11:32 PM
Everyone is right. I bought some play sand from the pet store and now battling with all kinds of issues. Taking it out right now.

Sugar Magnolia
05/28/2015, 05:19 AM
I would take that sand out and replace with actual dry sand meant for reefs. From what I have always read, Home Depot sand has a lot of silicates in it which algae so happens to feed on.

Yes.

Sk8r
05/28/2015, 09:15 AM
Aragonite sand. Caribsea brand. Wash well.

tzylak
05/28/2015, 12:38 PM
In defense of the Home Depot play sand, I have 120 lbs of it in my DSB and see no problems with it.
Yes, I also placed 60 lbs of Arragonite on top of it, to keep the bristle worms feeling "At Home" and comfy. -Well, they eagerly explore both media.
It's all good.

BigJohnny
05/28/2015, 12:43 PM
In defense of the Home Depot play sand, I have 120 lbs of it in my DSB and see no problems with it.
Yes, I also placed 60 lbs of Arragonite on top of it, to keep the bristle worms feeling "At Home" and comfy. -Well, they eagerly explore both media.
It's all good.

You see no problems with it, now.........[emoji48]

Sonnyfl
05/28/2015, 01:57 PM
As much as this answer is not what I was hoping for I am planning to move the tank relatively soon and that would provide an opportunity to take the sand out. If I take this sand out and replace it will there be another cycle? Any ideas on how best to replace this sand with as little impact to the inhabitants as possible? Once again thank you all for the awful news... Seriously though thank you guys.

Davileet
05/31/2015, 07:29 PM
Sonnyfl, get Special Grade Reef Sand by Caribsea. Best sand I have ever had. Take your rocks and corals and put them in buckets with water until you get the sand out and replaced with new. You will not have a new cycle as your rocks will have the beneficial ingredients you need. If you wanted to add some cycling product it wouldn't hurt anything. You could also keep a cup or two of dirty sand and water and add it to the new sand to help the bacteria grow. Rinse the new sand well, your tank will still be cloudy a day or two.

tzylak
06/01/2015, 08:14 AM
You see no problems with it, now.........[emoji48]

Big Johnny, would you like to elaborate? I hear warnings but do not see the source of the problem nor the potential consequences of said danger.
Thanks!

Sk8r
06/01/2015, 08:25 AM
Usually a sandbed replacement will give you about a 5 day cycle. Do prepare to have fishes and corals in qt during same.

Chevrefils
06/01/2015, 08:54 AM
Its been 10 months. Surely the diatoms have come and gone. I'd say leave the sand. What you have growing doesn't look major, I'm sure a couple hermits and snails would take care of it. Also even if you took out the sand that doesn't guarantee the turf algae won't come back in 10 months. I'm just saying I've seen much worse when people have done everything right, have all the right equipment, 0 nitrates and can't figure it out.

Edit: just realized that is not your photo and your issue is more severe. I'd slowly vacuum the sand out over a few days.

alwmh4
06/01/2015, 08:58 AM
If you are getting new sand, consider Reeflakes. I chose this bc of all the different sizes of sand that they offered. I bought it dry and it did need rinsing but I'm happy with it.

Sonnyfl
06/09/2015, 05:59 PM
Well I took out all of the sand. Everything seems to be much happier and the tank looks a lot better. It wasn't easy but it was definitely worth it. Thank you guys for all of the advice. So far I've left it bare bottom and I think I might keep it that way, too bad I already bought all that sand.

Sonnyfl
06/09/2015, 06:04 PM
Here is a picture from today. Once again thank you.

tennesseebob
06/09/2015, 09:46 PM
In my FW tank I had Home Depot playsand and I ended up with some rough FW cyano, it was a massive carpet in the whole tank, normally I didn't let it get out of hand but intended to switch to SW so I let it go a couple months.