PDA

View Full Version : Best Phosphate Test Kit?

isomorphic85
05/27/2015, 06:28 PM
Looking to purchase a phosphate test kit... what's the best one out there at the moment that you guy's are using?

christopher7
05/27/2015, 07:00 PM
Salifert has really good reviews for their test kits. I have their Ca, Mg, and PO4 test kits.

isomorphic85
05/27/2015, 07:06 PM
I have all red sea test kits but looking at reviews there phosphate test kits haven't had the best reviews.

heathlindner25
05/27/2015, 08:08 PM
I like salifert.

eddiereefs
05/27/2015, 08:16 PM
Well the best one is hands down a hanna checker, it is th only one that gives u a read out in a digital read out, all others are kinda a guess ur color typebdeal

thegrun
05/27/2015, 09:25 PM
+1, the HI736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range CheckerŪ would be my first choice, although the regular Hana phosphate checker works well enough. Salifert will give you a pretty good reading, but I would go with the Hana checker if possible.

ZeeSparrow
05/27/2015, 10:19 PM
I bought a Salifert test for testing my rock initially and will continue to use that until the reagents are gone. Then I'll buy an ultra low Hanna checker. Digital readout and the lower range is definitely worthwhile.

Dkuhlmann
05/28/2015, 03:24 AM
Well the best one is hands down a hanna checker, it is th only one that gives u a read out in a digital read out, all others are kinda a guess ur color typebdeal

Apparently it isn't the best

Ok, I feel kinda stupid now.
Just got the results back of the water test and the problem is the phosphate level. It's not 0.09 but 2.9!!.
I used a Hanna pocket meter and I must have been doing something very wrong.
I checked the test routine, watched some instructions on youtube and tried again. Now it reads 0.00 all the time (tried 3 times)?

Will do some manual removal, water change and install a phosphate killer.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23772321#post23772321

JammyBirch
05/28/2015, 08:58 AM
Apparently it isn't the best

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=23772321#post23772321

No, it is the best if you use it correctly...I have the phosphate checker and like it but the phosphorus UL is probably better. The phosphate checker reads 0.00 unless you have a huge problem.

Dkuhlmann
05/28/2015, 01:48 PM
No, it is the best if you use it correctly...I have the phosphate checker and like it but the phosphorus UL is probably better. The phosphate checker reads 0.00 unless you have a huge problem.

Did you read the thread I attached? He was reading 0 it was however considerably higher. It's in that thread. I don't want something that reads 0 unless there is a huge problem. I want a tester to say exactly what it is I'm trying to read. To me this Hanna checker is worthless.

GilliganReef
05/28/2015, 02:44 PM
Did you read the thread I attached? He was reading 0 it was however considerably higher. It's in that thread. I don't want something that reads 0 unless there is a huge problem. I want a tester to say exactly what it is I'm trying to read. To me this Hanna checker is worthless.

If you do the Hanna Check correctly you will get a correct reading. I have used Salifert Pho test and it showed 0.0. Did my Hanna and got a reading of .20. Just have to be able to do the test correctly and pay attention to the instructions. Also yes it will show zero on Hanna and still have phos in the system because of the algae eating it up to give you false readings.

Dkuhlmann
05/28/2015, 07:11 PM
If you do the Hanna Check correctly you will get a correct reading. I have used Salifert Pho test and it showed 0.0. Did my Hanna and got a reading of .20. Just have to be able to do the test correctly and pay attention to the instructions. Also yes it will show zero on Hanna and still have phos in the system because of the algae eating it up to give you false readings.

You just proved my point

JammyBirch
05/29/2015, 11:19 AM

Bingo, as will they all.

Back to the OP, I'd recommend the Phophorus UL Hanna checker, but the reality of it is most people just look at how often they have to clean there glass. If i clean mine more than twice a week then i change the GFO... Phosphate is not a big hitter, unless your tank is growing algae at high rates.

tmz
05/29/2015, 12:43 PM
Phosphate control an monitoring is prudent ,IMO. In addition to spurring nuisance alge and cyano bacteria ; at high levels it alters the calcification process in stony corals . Further , together with nitrogen it can encourage excessive zooxanthelae density. The 713 hanah is my first choice. Salifert second.

baldcattle0530
05/29/2015, 02:15 PM
I have a Hanna checker but have trouble getting the solution to dissolve in the water in the 2 mins that you get between the test periods. Does anyone have any tips, or am I just slow! Thanks

isomorphic85
12/14/2015, 07:31 PM
Bringing this topic back up as I never ended up being able to make a decision on a unit, and of course i'm now in need of one.... I have hair algae and diatoms going on .

I can't decide what freaking phosphate tester to get!?!

What's the most accurate out there, i'm still running red sea test kits for all my other tests but the red sea phosphate test kits have had terrible reviews in the past.

so confused on which way to go here

jason2459
12/14/2015, 07:35 PM
My favorite is the Hanna 736 ULR Checker, hach, and elos pro. 736 is my choice to use on a consistent basis.

My review of several Phosphate test kits.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2540702

jason2459
12/14/2015, 07:43 PM
I have a Hanna checker but have trouble getting the solution to dissolve in the water in the 2 mins that you get between the test periods. Does anyone have any tips, or am I just slow! Thanks

copy paste on what I do and applies to the 713 and 736

736 manual
http://shop.hannainst.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1069/ist736_13_05_10.pdf

713 manual
http://shop.hannainst.com/downloads/dl/file/id/1053/ist713_03_13.pdf

I always make sure the do the same steps every single time and have always gotten consistent results. Others have had bad reagents in the past but I haven't had the problem yet but it's always a possibility with any test kit.

I have a pretty good routine down with this checker and do the same with the 713 checker as well. Always handing with a lint free cloth and never touch with fingers though all steps.

1. rinse out the vial with tank water several times and inspect vial for any blemishes.

2. Fill that vial with 10ml of tank water taking care not to have any bubbles on the sides (if filtered can skip step 4.)

3. Get a packet out and flick it a few times to loosen up the powder and move away from the area I'm going to cut in a curved pattern as indicated on the packet (I was doing this before they put that indicator on there as well)

4. Set the vial down with tank water and wait at least minutes doing other stuff ( I used filter out the sample with a coffee filter but this seems just as good and I'm usually doing several things at the same time)

5. Turn the checker on and wait for it to ask for C1

6. Place the vial in with the 10ml mark facing me

7. Cut open the reagent packet and pinch it open so the bottom part is creased to help funnel the powder out into the vial

8. Press the button to read C1

9. As soon as it asks for C2 I pull the vial out (never touching with my fingers at any stage of this using a lint free cloth) and add the reagent

10. Close the vial up and look at the time and gently start mixing the reagent into the water. Taking care not to form bubbles on the insides of the glass. Alternating between slowly inverting and gently swirling

11. As soon as the time changes on the 2 minute mark I press and hold the button to get the 3 minute timer.

12. Continue to gently mix the reagent for 30 more seconds inspecting for any bubbles on the sides or accidental blemishes

13. Place the vial back into the checker and wait for the count down.

14. Rinse immediately after getting the reading.

I find that the reagent for the ULR 736 checker dissolves a lot better then the 713 Low Range checker. Also the end result value is displayed a lot longer on my 736 ULR checker.