PDA

View Full Version : Did they change formula in Rowaphos??

reefmutts
05/27/2015, 08:24 PM
Got a new container of Rowaphos and it looks different.
Been using it for years and have dosed the same amount and procedure putting
it into my little fishies chamber.
Let one gallon of water run through the container before letting tank water go through the chamber as always. My water in the tank turned orange. Haven't had this happen in 10 years. Anyone else notice a difference???
I'm sure it will filter itself out but it's disturbing to see my tank orange.

hbrochs
05/28/2015, 07:15 AM
I've just used Rowa Phos a few times, but I just put a new batch in the reactor last night. I had to run it for three or four minutes in a bucket / sink until it ran clear. The water is rusty orange brown for the first few minutes.

jdemarco
02/16/2016, 08:42 PM
I just started for first time and in order to get clear flow i probably ran about 4-5 gallons through it at slow pace......i know the desired flow to to the rowaphos using the eyeball test on the reactor (slight "boiling" look to the top layer of the rowa within the reactor) but based on how much product u are using, this can really limit the flow throughput. i have high phosphates and i just started running rowa in the last week or so but i am not particularly thrilled with the lack of volume/ flow that i can run through and hence the amount of time it will take to turn the volume over in my system one time........and based on my understanding this will decrease over time as i hopefully get to lower levels of phospate and therefore one day run less rowa....but sticking with the present i dont have an actual flow meter on my reactor line but based on the output i am guessing its only 20phh maybe......can anyone relate or share an estimate of your flow rate in GPH feeding your GFO?

ReefTron5000
02/17/2016, 01:36 PM
The flow rate of rowaphos through my TLF reactor is an ongoing issue for me as well.

I switch out my Rowaphos during water changes so I'll run about 4-5 gallons of tank water through it slowly until it runs clear. That is not so much the problem for me as the flow. It seems like no matter how slowly I set the tumble rate, or no matter how gentle the boil, it always seems to break down. Not to dust but you can clearly see the finer pieces on top and the larger granules on the bottom.

Not exactly sure what the trick is here. I think the actual manual says you are supposed to adjust the flow rate until you can measure 0 phosphates from the water coming directly out of the reactor.

jdemarco
02/17/2016, 01:52 PM
+1 on having to run > than 2 gallons through to clear it up initially, i'm guessing it took me 5gal to clear it up, even then I still run outflow through sock permanently. At the proper "slow boil" look i am guessing I am only at a rate of 15gph Does that sound like what others run through their rowa reactror?????

reefmutts
02/17/2016, 01:57 PM
The reason I asked is that I have used Rowaphos for about 8 years now with excellent results, but the last 1000ml plastic tub I bought seems to take 6 gallons of water to run through until it turns clear. Before that I only had to run 1 gallon through the Reactor.
I believe they must have changed the formula. Anyone else having this issue?
Might have to contact them directly in Germany.

reefmutts
02/17/2016, 02:01 PM
I do run mine at about 15gph, but the particle still seem to break down after about 2 weeks.
Still I havent had any issues in the tank, great color, good growth....so Im not complaining about the product , just wondering why its so much cloudier than previous batches and If anyone else has experienced this...

jdemarco
02/17/2016, 02:30 PM
I will follow along here as I am a first time rowaphos user (started about 5 days ago), so i have nothing to compare it to historically, sorry. Regarding orange in the tank comment, although the directions said it would NOT harm anything, when i first saw how dark brown/orange and opaque the water turned in the reactor initially i could never imagine letting that initial outflow directly to system

Shivsreef
02/17/2016, 02:34 PM
Don't ask me how I know this but to be honest it smells differently too! They might have potentially changed the formula slightly as in the tub it seems more prone to form clumps whereas before there hardly used to be any clumps imo