PDA

View Full Version : What is the maximum limite of vodka dosing per water volume?

hamiderezae
05/28/2015, 04:23 AM
Hi there!
I was starting vodka dosing frome 10 days ago in 60 G tank, at the begining dosage was 0.2 ml 40% ethanol/water and now this reaches to 2ml and with respect to the procedure that i tried i must increase dosage 0.5 ml per day after this day. at this period nitrat is stable around 30~40 and reduction was not observable. I want to know how much can i increasing dosage respect to 60 G of tank, and normaly after how many dayes nitrat reduction is detectable? I should declear that i am using 40% labratory ethanol instead of vodka, because in my country vodka is not available!

stephenhall1987
05/28/2015, 08:32 AM
Assuming that your ethanol is the same as vodka, most people seem to level out at .04 to .08 ml of 40% vodka per gallon of water volume. If you continually ad too much you will see a white bacteria film grow on everything, and eventually thicken into globs and clog pumps. If you dose way too much at once, the water will turn white and there won't be enough oxygen for the fish and coral.

Best to take it slow, and keep testing Nitrate and Phosphate.

stephenhall1987
05/28/2015, 08:35 AM
If it's hard to acquire alcohol, You can use vinegar (8x the dose of vodka {for 5% white cooking vinegar}) or sugar.