PDA

View Full Version : Measuring and maintaining HELP

Westfield
05/28/2015, 05:17 AM
OK real new to Coral (only) hobby
I read about testing for pH and various minerals and chemicals
I am not lazy and willing to do the work to support my animal
My question is where do I start other than the "test-strip" route?
I have ordered "API Reef Master Test Kit"
Waste of $$??
Also my local reef store sold me Brightwell Aquatics "Replenish" is this a good way to get a start balancing my tank

JammyBirch
05/28/2015, 06:53 AM
It depends on what you keep. Since you have sps you'll need everything.

Red Sea and/or Salfert for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ph and Magnesium

I recommend Hanna checkers for Calcium and Alkalinity

I also recommend getting a refractometer for salinity.

I have to say i'm concerned about you tank size. The smaller the water volume to more senitive it is to changes. You will have to monitor the water parameters and be on top of adjustments with 10g.

If you ran softies or even LPS it would be easier. I have a 25g Cube with sump, 35g total, and struggle from time to time with upsets. I'm constantly measuring alkalinity expecially, with sps corals.

FraggledRock
05/28/2015, 10:46 AM
I use a full line of ELOS kits.

Calcium, Magnesium, Alkalinity, Ammonia, nitirite, nitrate, phosphate is pretty much the core tests to make.

You should also get a Refractometer and fluid to calibrate.

if you are doing coral no fish, you have to figure out if you want SPS, Mixed, or LPS w softies. in a small tank SPS and softies is harder to maintain.

good luck!

FraggledRock
05/28/2015, 10:47 AM
replenish for balancing out tank?

in what way?

gone fishin
05/28/2015, 11:21 AM
IMO get your alkalinity, calcium and magnesium in line. Doing this will get your pH to where it is going to be. Do not chase a pH number. I use Salifert for the previous 3 and a Hanna checker for phosphate. Good luck

Sk8r
05/28/2015, 12:49 PM
I'd send back that kit. Don't buy kits in general---the tests run out at different rates, for one thing, and for another not every test company is good at everything.
Forget ph. That doesn't ordinarily come into issue in marine. Track alkalinity instead. That, with salinity and temperature, is nearly the whole ball game. If you go for stony coral, you also need to track magnesium and calcium, and it doesn't hurt to track those if you're not running coral at all---it just changes far slower.
I use Salifert for alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium, and I use Kent supplements for those 3 things.
Never dose what you don't have a test for.

tzylak
05/28/2015, 01:49 PM
API has two test kits: Regular and Reef. Three days before I got my tank I got both and happily used both. They work GREAT! But then, as Sk8r said, they run out. Now I purchase individual kits but I still use the tray and tubes that came with the kit.
I must admit, I still test for nitrites. -Always zero, always happy with that :clown:

homer1475
05/28/2015, 04:04 PM
API kits are ok, but notorious for being inaccurate. Get some better test kits, like red sea or salifert.