PDA

View Full Version : Lowering sand depth

lalleman
05/28/2015, 06:44 AM
Hey folks, so I went a little overboard on my sand bed, its about 3 to 4 inches in depth but would like it to be about 2 inches. I have a 29g biocube that I started cycling with dry/live sand(from and established tank) and 14 lbs of live rock to speed things up(15 lbs of dry). I added the live sand a day after I had it put together because I jumped on an offer I couldn't refuse, thus the increased level in depth.

I'm assuming I can vacuum a little out each week until the level I desire as I have no bioload yet but was planning on adding my CUC in a few days as my parameters have been 0 for the past week. I haven't done my first WC yet as I am still observing the cycle parameters to be sure but nitrates seem to be hovering around 40ppm which is expected for the amount of ammonia I have been adding.

My CUC has been ordered and I don't have a holding tank so just wondering if my approach makes sense with them in the tank.

Thanks

Shawn O
05/28/2015, 06:54 AM
How long has the tank been up? What do your tests tell you? If it's freshly cycled or is still in it's cycle, just vacuum it out and test your water before adding your CUC.

JammyBirch
05/28/2015, 06:58 AM
I'd wait for the cycle to end...then vacuum the sand out that you want gone. Then do a massive water change. That will cut down the mess you'll make vacuuming, get a python syphon hose and take the water and the sand together, if you don't want to keep it.

CStrickland
05/28/2015, 07:51 AM
It's easy to take some sand out when you vacuum the tank each week. You don't need to do a massive water change, just add new salt water to bring your water level to where it was and that's your weekly water change. You only make a mess of you let the sand get disgusting before you clean it, right after a cycle that's not a concern. I do it every week and a few snails get sucked out, but I just pick them out of the sand and send them home.

Do you have anything in there for the cuc to eat yet? If there's not much algae you'll need to feed them.

lalleman
05/28/2015, 08:31 AM
The tank's done cycling, been 0's for about a week, with nitrates hovering around 40, haven't done a water change yet but have been ghost feeding a micro pinch every morning. The CUC get's here in a day or two, it's not a large crew so can probably just take some out today and then once they are added take some more out with the next water change.

gone fishin
05/28/2015, 08:33 AM
Personally since it is a new tank I would not worry to much and pull the sand out to the level you want. Good luck just my 2 cents worth.

tzylak
05/28/2015, 12:43 PM
+1 on pulling out all the sand you want, while it is still 'fresh'.