PDA

View Full Version : Yes, I have a Canister Filter

texdoc77
05/28/2015, 02:14 PM
And I also have a Hydor Slim Skim protein skimmer...

I'd like to just turn the canister off, but... I'm nervous. I know instability is worse than out of line parameters and I don't want to rock the reef so to speak. My parameters have been excellent so far and my water is clear, but I do still have some phosphate and am wondering if my tank might be getting polluted with my canister. So here is the question. Anyone out there make a switch like this and at what point should I do it (I am just breaking in my protein skimmer).

Current set up 55gal tank koralia 1500 powerhead, dual current orbit LED lights, Reef tank

no ammonia, nitrites or nitrates, less than 0.25ppm phosphates pH 8.0, Calcium 520, Alk 8, salinity 1.024

Thoughts...

tigger2577
05/28/2015, 02:24 PM
I had a canister filter to start out with my 55g, I wound up going with a sump, 20g under the stand, just got an overflow box, some pvc, sock filter, a return pump and set it up one day and that same day i took down the canister filter had no issues at all.

by doing this I was able to get an in sump protein skimmer, and set up a reactor for GFO very easy as I had plenty of room in the 20gL

nuxx
05/28/2015, 02:25 PM
Our first tank was a 55 gallon with a canister and HOB skimmer.

Ran live rock rubble in the canister and never had an issue for over 3-4 years.

billdogg
05/28/2015, 05:48 PM
My 60g cube used a dual biowheel HOB and a canister filter and worked just fine. For 22 years. Keep it clean and it will work for you too. Not that there isn't easier methods, but it will work just fine.

texdoc77
05/28/2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. I would really prefer to get rid of the canister and switch over to a sump system for ease of use and less junk in the tank. Would that cause too much of a parameter instability? Should I have done that from the start?

davocean
05/28/2015, 09:10 PM
Lots of us had canisters, and they can be fine if you pull out any sponge or media, that seems to be where the issue is, but that is more so w/ excessive nitrates.
Is your tank drilled or have an overflow?
Switching how you push water is not an issue, if you were to pull out a bunch of media or bioballs or something to that affect could be, so in doing that we advise partial removal over a period of time until all gone.

BigCountry74
05/29/2015, 01:41 PM
canister 247 it great for carbon or as a make-shift reactor to remove phosphates. try not to run any pads or mech thru it though. will become a nitrate trap hard and fast. just my .02