PDA

View Full Version : Part 1 in the books

adamwheel
05/28/2015, 07:21 PM
I only have Part 1 in my 178 gallon + 25 gal refugium at this point but...

The Sand: The last time around, I purchased Reeflakes (perfectly white and all grains a uniform size). It was really pretty but doesn't compare to the sand I got from TBS. This sand is absolutely variable in grain size and there are bits of shells throughout. I had a couple medium size brittle stars and 2 urchins come out of the sand among other things. It's teeming with life.

The Rock: I've only had it in my system since Sunday. New things are appearing daily. I've already seen so much movement, the type of which I didn't see even after a year with live rock purchased at my LFS in prior systems.

With the dead rock I used in my last system, there was very little to scour the tank visually for. You weren't going to find something new (almost ever). With this stuff, you could look at one rock for an hour and miss things.

The water cleared to absolute crystal within 36 hours and Ammonia has tested zero to this point.

I apologize but I don't have a camera that will do this stuff justice. I'll post if I can get some good shots.

I can say that the 2.5 years of planning/building with my new system has made me very picky/anal about what gets to go in there. TBS rock and sand is a no brainer and I couldn't be happier.

Can't wait for part 2.

Cheers from Meechigan,

Adam

riverviewmike
05/29/2015, 08:13 AM
Well you made a great decision to purchase from TBS and Richard. The sand he sends you is exactly what is found off of the Gulf Coast in the Tampa Bay Area.

Would love to see pics if you ever get a chance. Good luck with your tank!

Hawk72
05/31/2015, 07:58 PM
If you think this rock is amazing wait until you get part 2. You will not be able to keep the nose and forehead prints off your glass!

spartanfish
06/01/2015, 05:29 PM
I got my part 1 rock and sand last Tuesday and was also super impressed! We also got as hitch-hikers 2 brittle stars, 2 urchins and a big orange conch like 3 inches long at least, and maybe some porcelain crabs (they looked red and white and didn't have the black tipped claws), the rock also has tons of feather dusters, sponges, tunicates, and some other filter feeders and worms. Also some other snails and at least one tiny hermit. Like you said it's like we see something new every day :) I am pretty sure there is also a pistol shrimp in there because we hear him clicking, and there are a couple tiny gorilla crabs but we will deal with them after all the rock is in and cycled. We can't wait for part 2!! :bounce3:

PS if anyone is hesitant because of the airport delivery, I want to say it went extremely smoothly and was much easier than we thought. Was super easy no problem at all. Ordered on a Monday night (Memorial day no less) and live rock from Florida shipped out Tuesday afternoon and was in Grand Rapids, MI waiting for us by Tuesday night! Outstanding!

adamwheel
06/02/2015, 05:35 PM
Here's a picture taken today. Part 2 came on Sunday.

I just have everything laid out so I can piece the rockscape together but man is this going to be fun.

Cheers,

Adam

P.S. I have the ATI Powermodule LED way up above. I need to lower it as things get acclimated. There's also a 25 gal refugium to the side that Richard supplied a couple nice macros for.

http://i962.photobucket.com/albums/ae104/adamwheel/Reef%20Aquarium/IMG_4082_zpsxqtq9iqj.jpg (http://s962.photobucket.com/user/adamwheel/media/Reef%20Aquarium/IMG_4082_zpsxqtq9iqj.jpg.html)

Jiinx
06/09/2015, 10:56 PM
that looks beautiful, just the way you placed everything :) I love those sponges and gorgs..they just make a tank look so natural!

adamwheel
06/11/2015, 08:14 PM
Thanks. Starting a system this way vs dry/dead rock and sand is so much more interesting. Saw my first nudibranch today. It was not hard getting it out. The diversity is spectacular.