PDA

View Full Version : Elegance coral eating/killing Trochus snails

serbusfish
05/29/2015, 07:55 AM
I have lost 3 of my Trochus snails to my Elegance coral. I never see it happen, I just noticed upside down snail shells next to it. Only once have I found a shell empty, the coral had its tentacles inside it and when I removed the shell it was empty. The other times the snails are still inside but die either soon after I 'save' them or straight away. I removed one from the coral last night and it stayed stuck on the glass all night then at lunch time today it fell off and died.

Is there anyway to prevent this happening? So far none of my hermits have been lost to the coral, just snails. The coral isnt against the front glass so I am not sure how it is getting hold of them?

Canneddynomite
05/29/2015, 08:19 AM
Mine do it all the time, I have empty shells everywhere and I actually watch and witness it happen many times. They touch it sting it and stick to it pulling it into them. You would be shocked how hard one single tentacle grabs onto the snail. The ones that are able to pull hard away eventually die. I have no idea how to stop it honestly.

scooter31707
05/29/2015, 08:51 AM
Might have to start feeding it a little more.

horsemanjlm
03/09/2017, 09:32 PM
Saltwater tank up and running for two months algae getting out of control on side walls . Now the front glass hairs up over 24 hours. Trochus snails going to town and have10 in a fifty with live rock. How many can I add. Also loss a tomini tang while at work. I think he never ate the algae and only flake food . Did he starve or just bad luck. Clowns doing well as is bicolor blenny. Parameters look good and doing two 9% water changes in the next two days.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk