PDA

View Full Version : Chevron with a purple tang

gsiegel
05/29/2015, 12:06 PM
I have a 300 gallon mixed reef with a purple tang as well as a blue and Naso. They all coexist fine and just saw a gorgeous chevron tang that I would love to add. He is extremely healthy and eating and picking away at the rocks but I am concerned with the established a purple tang.
I know it may be a risk but would you in a 300 gallon?

ca1ore
05/29/2015, 02:12 PM
By 'blue' do you mean Hippo/Regal ..... Rather than a powder blue? Plenty of room for a fourth tang, and the Chevie is a different genus. I'd try it, but use a socialization box.

brett559
05/29/2015, 02:14 PM
I'd do it. For sure. That's a big tank.

gsiegel
05/29/2015, 03:19 PM
Sorry - Yes - blue hippo
I use a large critter carrier with vents poked through it as an acclimation box ( larger them a standard acclimation box)
Anyone out there that has added a Chevron to a tank with already having a purple tang?
Thanks for the feedback.

kegogut
05/29/2015, 03:42 PM
Its always a gamble adding Tangs to tanks with established tangs. I recently added a purple to my 225 that had an established yellow and blue hippo. Blue hippo did fine but I ended up having to get rid of the yellow because he was relentlessly aggressive towards the purple.

ca1ore
05/29/2015, 04:35 PM
Anyone out there that has added a Chevron to a tank with already having a purple tang?.

Well, I'm about to - but you go first!

CoralsAddiction
05/29/2015, 04:48 PM
In many cases the key to initial aggression is to let things work themselves out in the first two weeks. Many reefers, myself included on previous occasions, separate and take out fish too soon without letting the fishes determine the pecking order. The advantage of a 300 gallon tank there is plenty of room for a harassed fish to take refuge in case of aggression from other fish. I would not hesitate to try it out in a 300 gallon tank.

kegogut
05/29/2015, 05:08 PM
Just make sure you have a fish trap available in case things dont work out.

In my case I even took the yellow tang out of the dt and put him into the QT for a week while the purple gained some strength and got comfy in the DT but as soon as I re-added the yellow within 10 seconds he was going after the purple again. I let it go for a courple weeks because the purple wasn't showing signs of stress other than being kept in a corner. He would eat but go back to his corner. After a couple weeks of aggression though it didnt get better so I trapped the yellow and traded him in at the lfs.

I hope it works out for you as they're two of the most attractive tangs for sure and it will be awesome if they can get along. Keep us posted!

CoralsAddiction
05/29/2015, 05:33 PM
Just make sure you have a fish trap available

+1. I saw a very experienced hobbyist who also works at a fish store who broke down his aquascape and removed live rock just to catch one fish. He also broke a few SPS corals in the process...all because he never invested in a fish trap. I keep a fish trap on hand at all times.