PDA

View Full Version : Setting up new 93 Cube

modder man
05/30/2015, 11:55 PM
Working through equipment decisions for my new 93 cube. Really struggling with the small amount of space I have under the stock ventura stand. the internal dimensions of the stand are: 28.88 x 28.68 x 23.50. My current tank is a 150 and have a maintenance room behind the tank so space has never been a concern.
I am trying to figure out how to include a skimmer, refugium, carbon/gfo reactor, containers for ATO as well as AWC. All of this to try to work though arranging under that little stand. the reactors come low on the list but I really would like to include them.
On to some details, or loose details anyway.

I think the only way for me to fit AWC and ATO is to build acrylic containers. for now I am planning 3 containers with the dimensions of 6x9x21

I am currently look at the following skimmers: vertex omega 150, aquamaxx coneS c-01, RO Classic spacesaver 210. Trying the keep the skimmer as cheap as possible for a solid skimmer while also keeping it very small.

To work around all of these details it may be best to build my own sump, I
am a little unsure of the dimensions i should work with though. This would allow me to build the refugium in, and make the best use of space in such a small stand.

The plan is to have a mixed reef likely to have a heavy fish bioload.

modder man
05/31/2015, 11:58 AM
any suggestions starting with the skimmer?

modder man
06/01/2015, 05:51 PM
Nobody? I thought for sure people would have input on at least the skimmer.

postie1686
06/01/2015, 06:50 PM
for your containers and your skimmer i would check out fish-street! they have 3 compartment containors at a good price.. and i have been more then impressed with the coral box skimmer!

redwhiteandblue
06/01/2015, 07:12 PM
I would possibly skip the fuge to all more space . I have never felt the need for one after trying once

modder man
06/01/2015, 07:19 PM
I dont know that i have ever had a well set up fuge but it would seem that a fuge can be beat for things auch as maintaining copepod population with mandarins in the tank.

jpa0741
06/01/2015, 07:39 PM
Im currently using a reef octopus regal 150sss on my 100g cube and have been very happy with it. It has a pretty small footprint

moondoggy4
06/01/2015, 08:03 PM
Kill two birds with one stone. Build your own stand, make it a rectangle model, that way you have more space.

Option 1 I would get a skimmer with the pump under the body of the skimmer. Aqua Maxx EM line will work great.

modder man
06/01/2015, 08:07 PM
Regal 150sss is a bit more than i would like to spend but i will keep it in mind. I can get almost anything at wholesale costs and would like to keep that around 200 meaning 300ish retail or less.

modder man
06/01/2015, 10:48 PM
moon, Typically I would just build my own stand. this is my first and hopefully only tank while in an apartment though. Dont have the tools with me or really want to spend the time on a custom. stand for this one.

The coralbox skimmer looks promising on a cheap budget

Felix T Cat
06/02/2015, 07:24 PM
60 gallon cube owner here so even less space. I'm running an Aqueon Proflex model 1 sump with a Bubble Magnus NAC skimmer. For top off I picked up a 10g tank from the Petsmart $1/gallon sale.

It is TIGHT under the stand I won't lie and dialing in the skimmer is a royal PITA but it keeps everything inside the stand. I have minimal bioload (one black damsel, a coral banded shrimp and a few peppermints) It's mostly a coral tank.

modder man
06/02/2015, 07:41 PM
I plan to have a heavy biolaod so i am working around that. If i need to leave out the AWC i will but it has proven to be very beneficial to my current 150 gallon tank.

modder man
06/03/2015, 10:06 AM
I watched a bunch of reviews on the coralbox skimmer, I think that may be the one I go with. Unfortunately its not the smallest one I have looked at but it looks very promising.