PDA

View Full Version : New tank, sump set up problem

Benjamin.
05/31/2015, 05:28 AM
Hi all,

I have just bought a corner tank and i would like to add a sump. The problem i am having is that i don't really want to drill the glass and i can't put a hang on overflow due to it going into a corner where it will be enclosed by two walls so i wouldn't be able to check it.

Can i do it by having two pumps, one to take the water from the dt to the sump then one to pump from sump to dt? The cabinet is fairly small and would only house a sump thats 43cm long by 23cm wide. The main reason i want a sump is to hide the equipment that would otherwise by in the dt.

Any ideas are welcome!

Benjamin.

Chuckd76
06/01/2015, 06:48 PM
From what I understand even with two of the same make/model pumps they will eventually not pump the same gph. You risk a flood if the slower one is taking water out of the dt.

postie1686
06/01/2015, 06:56 PM
From what I understand even with two of the same make/model pumps they will eventually not pump the same gph. You risk a flood if the slower one is taking water out of the dt.

he is correct. the pump that is in the tank will over run the one down below as it has less head pressure to contend with. in all honesty i think people make drilling tanks sound way harder then it is. ive done a few.

Benjamin.
06/02/2015, 11:25 AM
OK, so I have decided that I'm going to drill it. Now the question is, if I'm doing a 1 1/4" main hole and 1 1/2" emergency, what bulkheads will I need? Also, can I just upturn a 90 so the water just drains down it rather than having a siphon? I'm probably miles out with it but all the different ways of doing eg, pipes, valves ect it's a bit overwhelming to figure out a way that will work for me..

Any help would be appreciated!

Benjamin.