PDA

View Full Version : How many GPH are you really getting?

Isaacs55
05/31/2015, 11:38 AM
I already posted this in a different thread but I feel like it should have its own thread so people who are new to the hobby are aware of how much gph they are really getting or what they should strive for. It's alot easier to check in the beginning when you start a build before you start throwing a ton of equipment in the sump.
Anyways here you go...

My tank isn't fully set up yet, (no sand or rock uet) but I have already tested and checked my water flow and I know exactly how much water I'm pushing an hour. I'm running a Rio 2500 which is rated for 700-750 gph. At my 3 feet of head loss im pushing exactly 450 gph. Now let me explain how I figured out the exact amount of gph my tank is getting.*
What I did, and what I think everyone should do, is measure exactly how many gph they are getting. A lot of people think they are getting a certain amount, but have never really checked. They read what everyone says they should be getting or they read it off the back of the return box....this isn't always the case, because it can be different for everyone.*
Now, to really be sure and check how many gph you are pushing, you need to measure by sticking a 2 or 5 gallon bucket in your sump, whichever fits, and stick it right under the water from your drain line flows so the water fills up the bucket. Now here's how you measure....however long it takes for the water to be filled up into the bucket from your drain line is how you are going to measure. Once you have calculated how many seconds it takes to fill up that bucket, all you have to do from there is simple math to get to the hour. So for my system I used a 2 gallon bucket, because that's all that fit in my sump. It took me between 16 seconds to fill up my bucket. Math part....
60/16= 3.75 x 2 (#gallon of bucket you used)*
3.75 x 2 = 7.5
7.5 x 60 = 450 gph
So if you're using a 2 gallon bucket and want at least 400 gph, then you should aim for at least 18 seconds to fill up a 2 gallon bucket, which will put you right at 400 gph.
Now we do this because we use gate valves for a herbie method at which we have to tune our systems to be ultra silent.*
I hope this helps and I hope this wasn't too long too read...
I'll try and make a video on my youtube channel to further explain if you guys would like to see how it's done.
Thanks guys.*

Isaacs55
05/31/2015, 11:43 AM
Here's a link to one of my videos in my channel. You can check out my other videos as well. I'm going to try and take videos of my build as I go. If you have questions let me know. Thanks guys

40 gallon Herbie method silent: https://youtu.be/BCIAa5q8U7w

pledosophy
05/31/2015, 11:48 AM
Nice work.

It's a good idea, and will work with some older pumps, but many pumps today have a "slow start". To test newer pumps or DC pumps you would have to let it run for a couple of minutes, and then start to fill the bucket.

There are also flow meters to out inline with plumbing that some people use.

IMHO it's not about how much water movement you have, but more importantly the efficient pattern if it. A tank can turn over 200x an hour and still have dead spots.

codyreed29
05/31/2015, 01:55 PM
I have done this as well but I put the bucket under the return during the water test.

I have a mag 9.5 to run with my glass holes 700gph. probably 550-650 gph after three elbows.

Oh and there is a head loss calculator on the HOME PAGE here at RC. http://www.reefcentral.com/index.php/head-loss-calculator

as the calculator says for mag 9 pump.
Total losses are 8.06 feet of head pressure, or 3.48 PSI. with a flow rate of 570 GPH. Process took 37 iterations. So with 50 gph more from the 9.5 im in the range I put above.

Isaacs55
05/31/2015, 01:55 PM
Very true! thanks for the input. It's more for like basic beginners who try to aim for the basic gph through their sump. Display tank would be more pattern flow like you stated. I'm still learning every day and trying to find better ways to improve.

Isaacs55
05/31/2015, 01:59 PM
I guess I didn't clarify this enough so I'll have to make a video. You have to measure it after your drains and everything is set up.let your system rum as if you were going to let it run like normal. Then you put your bucket in your sump where the water from your drain is flowing into your sump. It's a bit tricky and depends on the amount of space you have available in your sump.

hkgar
05/31/2015, 03:07 PM
I measure a little differently. I shut off the return pump, and since there is no check valve in my return lines, I let the DT drain down to the sump - in my basement. After everything is stable turn on the pump and measure the amount of time to drain down a certain level. I allow 1/2 inch for start up and then time to go down 1.5 inches and compute the gallons based on cubic inches.

Regarding head loss, my return lines have 7 feet of vertical, 15 feet of horizontal and 20 90 degree elbows.