PDA

View Full Version : Makeshift bulkhead for small gravity fed ATO buckets...

mmittlesteadt
06/01/2015, 01:25 PM
I use a 13 gallon bucket (previously a 5 gallon bucket) for my gravity fed ATO reservoir that goes to my Eshopps float valve. But every small bulkhead I found (even the 1/2" ones) are still way too bulky (no pun intended) and wide for the curvature of a small pail. They work great on a flat surface but are far too big for the smaller circumference pails.

So what to do? Well, I found a very cheap solution that works perfectly. I bought one of those kitchen sink faucet sprayer holders (the kind that get mounted to the third hole on a kitchen sink) where the faucet sprayer just slips through the opening. They aren't made to be for plumbing...just to hold the sprayer.

Well, it turns out that the mount for it just happens to be small enough to act as a bulkhead on a small pail!!! All you need are a couple of extra large rubber washers so when you tighten it to the pail, the washers take up the difference between the flat part of the mount and the curvature of the pail.

Then you wrap some pipe tape around the threaded outside (that the mounting nut screws onto and the faucet sprayer hose slides through inside) and then attach vinyl tubing to the outside of it with a hose clamp. You can then simply use an appropriate nipple reducer with a hose clamp to get it down to the size you need for your ATO/float valve to function.

I could have made this far more streamlined with less fittings, tubing and hose clamps but I just used what I had lying around and wanted to use my existing 1/2" gate valve...so there are A LOT of parts pieced together on this that I normally would not do.

Best part is, it cost me about $3.50 and you can find them anywhere faucets are sold.

http://2ndnaturecreations.com/reef/bulkhead.jpg

sleepydoc
06/01/2015, 04:25 PM
Nice DIY solution with some spare parts. You don't have problems with water leaking back along the threads to the sprayer collar?

They're a bit harder to find, but Uniseals (http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/uniseal-1-9d624e9fd3bd011eb7a8f1d40f457d93.html) are made for such an application and are probably a better long term solution. Just put a street elbow in the uniseal and you're good to go.

mmittlesteadt
06/01/2015, 04:54 PM
I couldn't find any uniseals locally. I had to change it out ASAP. Necessity being the mother of invention and all. I have way too many pipes, fittings, tubes, clamps, etc. laying around from over 35 years of the FW side of the hobby (just ask my wife... :D).

I found that wrapping the threads with teflon pipe tape (more than typical) and cranking down the hose clamp was sufficient. It's not under a great deal of pressure, aside from gravity. No drips at all. Yes, normally a nipple is better because threads (being what they are) allow water to just slowly spiral round and round and eventually "out".

It's all just part of dealing with the hobby...so many proprietary things not used in every day life. Heck, just trying to find a bulkhead or uniseal at HD, Menards, etc. proved fruitless and the help looked at me like I was an alien speaking another language.

CuzzA
06/01/2015, 06:11 PM
Whatever gets the job done. ;) Next time just pick up a 1/4" John Guest quick connect bulkhead and a gasket.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=319351&stc=1&d=1433203847

mmittlesteadt
06/01/2015, 06:19 PM
I've checked every single hardware/plumbing type store around here locally and I could not find anything that would work (short of ordering online). I even work at a hardware store and we don't carry anything like that.

If I had time, I'd order...but again shipping typically costs more than the small parts.

sleepydoc
06/01/2015, 09:45 PM
Yeah, bulkheads in any form aren't easy to find ouside of aquarium supply stores. My LFS has uniseals, but I've never seen them anywhere else exept online as well, so if you need a quick fix, they're out.

zachts
06/01/2015, 10:26 PM
Whatever gets the job done. ;) Next time just pick up a 1/4" John Guest quick connect bulkhead and a gasket.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=319351&stc=1&d=1433203847

Problem with these is the majority say right on the package not for submerged use. They leak internally through the two push connect fittings. I tried several for connections to my ATO container and finally gave up on 1/4 push fit bulkheads and just got a 1/4" threaded bulk head to make my connections.

Though for hard sided pails the best is a uniseal, generally have to order them but they are darn handy to have on hand for a quick fix, I keep a variety around for whatever comes up....

CuzzA
06/02/2015, 04:59 AM
They shouldn't leak from the push connect and you definitely have to add a gasket to the flange side. The curve of a bucket may cause trouble and I agree a uniseal is typically the proper application for that. On such a small fitting I'm not sure it would be an issue especially with a thicker gasket. Although a little silicone or epoxy will usually stop any seepage.

Bottom line, whatever gets the job done without. ;)

jimmyj7090
06/02/2015, 11:26 AM
Problem with these is the majority say right on the package not for submerged use. They leak internally through the two push connect fittings. I tried several for connections to my ATO container and finally gave up on 1/4 push fit bulkheads and just got a 1/4" threaded bulk head to make my connections.

Though for hard sided pails the best is a uniseal, generally have to order them but they are darn handy to have on hand for a quick fix, I keep a variety around for whatever comes up....

I've been using those on multiple top off containers for for 10 plus years and never had a problem at all. (just keep the metal nut on the dry side) Are you sure you were using the correct type of tubing with them?

zachts
06/02/2015, 11:45 AM
I've been using those on multiple top off containers for for 10 plus years and never had a problem at all. (just keep the metal nut on the dry side) Are you sure you were using the correct type of tubing with them?

Tried three different brands from US Plastics, all leaked, with the flange side inside the container and a rubber gasket. Standard 1/4" RO tubing. They did not leak when pressurized with a line attached to both ends with the container empty (95PSI from my water supply). They did leak when submerged in water on one side. Leaked from the outside of the push fit ring. Apparently the tubing was sealed together but water can get around the outside of the seals somehow within the fitting and leak (I don't see how when looking at the cross section diagrams of the fittings but they leaked non the less). It was not leaking from the threads, clearly from the push fit connection.

Maybe I just got bad ones all around........