PDA

View Full Version : 60g cube stocking list

turbo2oh
06/01/2015, 04:38 PM
My 60g mixed reef cube is about 8/9 mo. old and I'm looking to add a few more fish. Curious for opinions on what might be best and any pros/cons. I'll probably add 3 more at most. I'm looking for other interesting suggestions as well!

Currently have
midas blenny
2 x ocellaris clowns
pink streaked wrasse

Options I'm considering
reg. firefish
ORA white spotted filefish or pair
bangaii cardinal or pair
black axil green chromis
tanaka's possum wrasse
fathead/sunburst anthias (not if they need to be fed more than 1 x day)

CoralsAddiction
06/01/2015, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't add the black axil chromis in a 2x2 cube only because they are big and active. That footprint isn't ideal. A black axil chromis would be happier in a 3ft 40 gallon than in a 2ft 60 cube. Consider some of the smaller fairy wrasses like Lubbcoks or Yellow Fin.
If you want a chromis consider a black bar chromis. They are super active but don't require a large territory. And only get one. Because eventually they kill each other off. I started with 3 in my previous 20x20x24 (40 gal) cube and only had one left till my clowns decided to kill it.

turbo2oh
06/02/2015, 07:05 AM
I wouldn't add the black axil chromis in a 2x2 cube only because they are big and active. That footprint isn't ideal. A black axil chromis would be happier in a 3ft 40 gallon than in a 2ft 60 cube. Consider some of the smaller fairy wrasses like Lubbcoks or Yellow Fin.
If you want a chromis consider a black bar chromis. They are super active but don't require a large territory. And only get one. Because eventually they kill each other off. I started with 3 in my previous 20x20x24 (40 gal) cube and only had one left till my clowns decided to kill it.

Thanks for the advice! Would those wrasses be ok with a pink streaked wrasse?

I also want to avoid adding too many more fish who stick to the caves/shadows, the pink streaked already does that and I think a lot of these other ones that don't need much swimming room have similar descriptions.

Bill Nye
06/02/2015, 08:05 AM
From everything I've read Pink streaked wrasse and possum wrasse get a long fine. I have a black axil chromis in my 50b and he is pretty cool. My fiance added him to my order at DD/LA and I didn't realize it till it showed up. Would have never bought it myself but have to say its a very pretty fish.

Maybe I'm biased since mine is still pretty small (~2") but I think it would be ok as long as you have high flow. Mine just sits in front of my mp10s most of the day.

I would also definitely get a firefish. My oldest fish is a purple firefish and he is also my favorite. Sits out in the middle of the tank floating on the flow all day.

CoralsAddiction
06/02/2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks for the advice! Would those wrasses be ok with a pink streaked wrasse?

I also want to avoid adding too many more fish who stick to the caves/shadows, the pink streaked already does that and I think a lot of these other ones that don't need much swimming room have similar descriptions.

They should be ok together. The two fairie wrasses I recommended will be out all the time. Possum wrasse on the other hand is more secretive than fairies. You should still add a chromis because they are super active and out all the time.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+1848&pcatid=1848

turbo2oh
06/04/2015, 09:50 AM
They should be ok together. The two fairie wrasses I recommended will be out all the time. Possum wrasse on the other hand is more secretive than fairies. You should still add a chromis because they are super active and out all the time.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1634+1848&pcatid=1848

Thanks, like the other wrasse options! Any other chromis that would work? Liveaquaria doesn't even list the black bar under its chromis category : http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+1634. The black & white and agile look nice. I'm assuming green chromis has the same space requirements as the black axil?