PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do Interceptor treatments as a preventative??

SPotter
06/04/2015, 05:57 AM
Thankfully I dont have red bugs and I dip everything I get but I get worried from time to time that I didnt dip long enough. So I am wondering if anyone uses Interceptor on a preventative basis to take care of the ones you cant see yet or made it thru the dips?

Mark426
06/04/2015, 06:09 AM
I haven't ...but seems like a good idea.

SPotter
06/04/2015, 06:11 AM
I haven't ...but seems like a good idea.

my only concern is impact on inverts. I have 5 cleaner shrimp that and a lot of snails I would hate to lose. If I lost the emeralds, hermits and I think I have a rogue gorilla I wouldnt mind too much.

Big E
06/04/2015, 06:29 AM
Snails aren't affected.

SPotter
06/04/2015, 06:31 AM
So what would the downside be if any of doing this periodically?

Tweaked
06/04/2015, 06:41 AM
Killing of pods populations that take months to establish, and killing any invert in the tank.

OllieDog
06/04/2015, 06:57 AM
Killing of pods populations that take months to establish, and killing any invert in the tank.

This... crabs, shrimp, pods, all gone. Its a very rough treatment on the tank.

SPotter
06/04/2015, 06:58 AM
This... crabs, shrimp, pods, all gone. Its a very rough treatment on the tank.

thats where i have read conflicting posts. some say it had no impact on their crabs or shrimp. I guess it depends on the strenght of the dosage you administer to the tank.

HiImSean
06/04/2015, 07:18 AM
You could set up a coral QT and do a treatment every so often while observing them.

JB NY
06/04/2015, 07:40 AM
thats where i have read conflicting posts. some say it had no impact on their crabs or shrimp. I guess it depends on the strenght of the dosage you administer to the tank.

It can kill off some of your inverts but not all. Here are my notes from when I dosed my 180 tank back in 2004.

After 6 hours of treatment I looked at the tank. Looked over all my acros.
I couldn't find any red bugs, not one. I checked a few acros that had at least 8-10 bugs on one branch. I didn't see anything. Then I checked the rest of the tank. One acro crab on a yellow a. tenuis was hanging on to a branch in a dramatic death display. Wasn't happy to see that guy. I looked at the other acros and could see their crabs moving. So they weren't all dead. I found a few more scarlet hermits roaming around, they looked fine. So I started rinsing lots of carbon.
<p>Shut everything down at 6 hours after treatment. Did a 65 gallon water change on a total system volume of 280 gallons. Threw in about half the 3.65 liter black diamond carbon(about 64 oz.), and two poly filters. Two hours later and still no red bugs to be found. Some of the acro crabs are still moving, my starlets are out and eating algae. I noticed polyp extension on two of my acros that had shown no polyps for months. Nothing crazy but they were out! I'll look at them ay night and see if it looks better

http://cnidarianreef.com/G180/images/logs/DSCN3873.jpg