PDA

View Full Version : Madarin goby question.

kegogut
06/04/2015, 09:02 AM
Has anyone been able to train theirs to eat frozen ? How long did it take? What did you train it with?

RDtrack
06/04/2015, 09:09 AM
Mine started eating frozen about month after they were placed in the tank.

I think I lucked out, though. Was able to purchase what I thought was a male and female. Which ended up being the case and they partnered right away. A month later I noticed they were eating frozen.

I feed quite a bit when I feed and I shut off all pumps. I've noticed that they wait until the food is settled on the bottom before they will eat.

Good luck. Love mine. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/04/ce26682cd17861ad721bf4c58d9a7546.jpg

Neebles
06/04/2015, 09:44 AM
Did you give this a read at all? Good stuff.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1492650

snorvich
06/04/2015, 11:12 AM
All mandarins will eat frozen without training (unless they were captured with cyanide in which case they will not eat at all). Eating frozen will not be enough to sustain a mandarin. Please read this. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495138)

kegogut
06/04/2015, 11:56 AM
All mandarins will eat frozen without training (unless they were captured with cyanide in which case they will not eat at all). Eating frozen will not be enough to sustain a mandarin. Please read this. (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2495138)

Ive scanned over that thread before. Below are my set up details. I think Im good to go with the pods. Only thing that might compete with it is my yellow coris wrasse,but with a sump and tank my size I dont think it will be a problem.

ThRoewer
06/04/2015, 01:38 PM
Some training may be required. Often it is enough to have them see other fish feed of frozen food to give it a try.
In the past when I had access to live Mysis I fed them those and after a couple of days they would also take the ones I had frozen. This worked also for pipefish and seahorses.

Without access to live Mysis you can try the same with live adult brine shrimp.

snorvich
06/04/2015, 03:06 PM
Ive scanned over that thread before. Below are my set up details. I think Im good to go with the pods. Only thing that might compete with it is my yellow coris wrasse,but with a sump and tank my size I dont think it will be a problem.

With that tank size and maturity, you should be fine. However most mandarins will also eat NLS pellets if they can get them.

hotelbravo
06/04/2015, 08:57 PM
i had mine for quite a few months before it started eating pellets and all types of frozen now its a pig and comes out into the water column to attempt at competing with the rest of the tank for food. no training

MondoBongo
06/05/2015, 08:03 AM
it helps to have a frozen food, or live food, that they will go after with gusto. then you can add additional bits of other foods.

i made one of the paul B style feeders for the baby brine shrimp. this was useful because it got my mandy used to associating a specific area of the tank with food. after some time, when the pumps were turned off, she would be more inclined to visit this area and wait for food. it wasn't perfect, often she would just decide she wasn't interested at that particular time, but it was useful for introducing her to things.

i also would feed the other fish on the other side of the tank, as they tend to be more aggressive and scare her off. she is mostly interested in live food, but will enthusiastically eat nutramar ova. less interested in frozen cyclop-eeze, but will still pick, and doesn't seem to be very much bothered by other things like mysis.

your mileage may vary. they're all worth a try.

Devaji108
06/05/2015, 11:09 AM
I love mandarins my all time FAV. fish hands down. thinking of starting a pod farm so I can add one to my 40br tank. would take alot of work in the begging but once I have a 29H +sump full of pods i could have a food for it. otherwise I will not try them.

dcmatranga
06/05/2015, 12:50 PM
Finicky little guys - but are one of my favs also!