PDA

View Full Version : looking into getting anthia's have a question or two

Art13
06/04/2015, 02:37 PM
Is a lid necessary? Also, are they better in groups? what size groups? I'm pretty sure they are a fish that would require several feedings throughout the day, any info you can give me would be appreciated on their care.

nuxx
06/04/2015, 04:14 PM
Typically with our Anthias we feed in the morning and evening.

I'd say a group of 5 females would be good.

indyjaco
06/04/2015, 04:16 PM
Based on your 90G tank i'd say 3 would be the most. Two would work if a pair formed. I had a pair of barletts in my 125G for 9 months and never had an issue.

I'd be prepared to feed 2-3 times a day of meaty frozen foods. I would consider a top a must with all tanks

nuxx
06/04/2015, 04:23 PM
Based on your 90G tank i'd say 3 would be the most. Two would work if a pair formed. I had a pair of barletts in my 125G for 9 months and never had an issue.

I'd be prepared to feed 2-3 times a day of meaty frozen foods. I would consider a top a must with all tanks

90?

Yeah 2 or 3.

Art13
06/04/2015, 05:06 PM
Sorry yeah, 90, looking into the smaller species. I wasn't sure if they do alright on their own or not, 3 was my limit on how many so if it wasn't going to work I'd be looking at a different fish.

nvladik
06/04/2015, 05:12 PM
With mine lid is not needed, they stay towards the middle unless fed.

kegogut
06/04/2015, 05:22 PM
A lid is definitely a must IME. Anthias are definitely jumpers.

Bill Nye
06/04/2015, 05:57 PM
I think 5 bartletts would be fine in a 90 g as long as there isnt too much rock work and you have good flow. Only the supermale reaches 3.5 inches the females stay pretty small. They also are far less aggressive then other anthias like lyretails. My male never physically harasses either of the females in my tank.

As far as a top yes that is a must. The male gets crazy sometimes showing off and will splash water out of the tank. I bet my top has saved him at least once since I've had them.

Art13
06/05/2015, 05:19 AM
guess i need to order a lid first, was also looking at ignitus anthias but i think 3 may be pushing it with them. Thanks for all the advise, appreciate it!

Art13
06/05/2015, 05:32 AM
Would it be better to keep 5 bartletts together or would they be fine with just a group of three? One male two females.

eatbreakfast
06/05/2015, 05:49 AM
Bartletts are on the aggressive side for anthias, though they are very hardy. A group of 5 ignitus is an excellent choice for a 90g. Ignitus are more peaceful than bartletts and stay in a group far better as well. Some anthias that do well singly include sunburst, borbonius, pink square and bimaculatus. Other species that would do well in a group in your sized tank are dispars, randalls and pulcherrimus.

Art13
06/05/2015, 06:37 AM
Bartletts are on the aggressive side for anthias, though they are very hardy. A group of 5 ignitus is an excellent choice for a 90g. Ignitus are more peaceful than bartletts and stay in a group far better as well. Some anthias that do well singly include sunburst, borbonius, pink square and bimaculatus. Other species that would do well in a group in your sized tank are dispars, randalls and pulcherrimus.

Ignitus were actually my first choice, would they be ok in a group of 3 or 4 or is five the best starting number? Sorry, will be my first time with anthias, i'd rather not see them die in my tank, only one death so far with this tank due to a jumper and i'd rather not see that happen, a lid will be first before these guys.

dcmatranga
06/05/2015, 08:16 AM
I've had better success with a pair of bartletts as opposed to a small harem, same with my lyretails.

eatbreakfast
06/05/2015, 09:14 AM
I've had better success with a pair of bartletts as opposed to a small harem, same with my lyretails.

This makes sense because bartletts and lyretails are more aggressive than most anthias.

Ignitus should be fine in a group of 3 or 4, but I personally recommend 5.

dcmatranga
06/05/2015, 10:41 AM
This makes sense because bartletts and lyretails are more aggressive than most anthias.

Ignitus should be fine in a group of 3 or 4, but I personally recommend 5.

I did not know that, explains why my purple queens did better in a trio! Although they were quite feisty. I havent had much success with the purple queens or flavo's. I wonder if it's because those are more deep water?

d-man
06/05/2015, 10:47 AM
Carbyerri, resplendent, or ingnitus are best choices. They stay relatively small, and are not aggressive.
If there aren't much fish in there than 5 is fine. Feed these types 2-3x a day. No they aren't too bad at jumping however I'd still recommend a hood

ca1ore
06/05/2015, 01:38 PM
I havent had much success with the purple queens or flavo's. I wonder if it's because those are more deep water?

PQ, Princess and Flavos - and maybe evansi too - are particularly tricky. Hard to acclimate and feed. Other anthias are deep water too, so maybe a factor, but not the only factor.